News Raspberry Pi 4: Could Ubuntu Be On The Way?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
With RPi OS and Ubuntu both being Debian-based, the main difference from my perspective would be Ubuntu's support for 64-bit userspace.

BTW, I don't use the Pi's GUI, so which window manager it's running is irrelevant for me. Therefore, I don't know if Pi even supports any other options than its default. When I'm using an Ubuntu desktop, I run KDE.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Ubuntu server (32 or 64 bit) is already available for raspberry pi, which is more or less the same as regular ubuntu except it doesn't come with a graphical desktop environment. From there you can (in theory) install any DE you want, assuming you want one in the first place. I had some mixed results though on my Pi 4, when I (very briefly) tried out a few DEs.

I started with KDE, as that's the only DE I have experience with. I think it worked as long as you disable the compositor, but performance isn't great. Gnome was similar IIRC, worked but slow. I also tried Xfce and LXDE/LXQt (can't remember which one, maybe both). Those seemed to work OK, but didn't seem to recognize my TV resolution properly (1080p) and their resolution settings apps were buggy and I couldn't change anything. Maybe could have solved that using CLI with xrandr commands or something but I didn't feel like messing around with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user