News Raspberry Pi 4 Gets USB Bootloader in New Firmware Beta

May 23, 2020
The subtitle "Load an OS on Raspberry Pi without a microSD card" is pretty inaccurate - you've been able to netboot a Pi for years at this point, which is arguable superior to any local storage (SD or USB) when the Pi will always be connected via ethernet.

KraakBal

Reputable
May 23, 2020
Finally!

I don't get why the software for rpi is taking so long!!! It is hurting the PC replacement use case for the raspberry pi!

Where is proper youtube browser playback? Full video hardware decode for that? Where is x265 decode? Why is it 2020 and we cannot just plugin and get the thing to work as it is supposed to?

Get more devs on things, for God's sake!

May 25, 2020
Finally!

I don't get why the software for rpi is taking so long!!! It is hurting the PC replacement use case for the raspberry pi!

Where is proper youtube browser playback? Full video hardware decode for that? Where is x265 decode? Why is it 2020 and we cannot just plugin and get the thing to work as it is supposed to?

Get more devs on things, for God's sake!

You do realize that these devs, and the rasPi foundation make ZERO money off of anything they do. I'm sure most, if not all, have regular day jobs, and do these things as a hobby. That being said the boards were originally and still are meant for educational purposes, everything else is just candy. The Pi was never meant to be a PC replacement.

If you're not happy with the pace of development from all the hardworking devs in their spare time, not charging a dime for their work, feel free to get on board and start coding yourself, if not stop complaining and I'll gladly point you to a 200$ Chromebook.