Raspberry Pi 4: Release Date, Specs, Price, Everything We Know

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
My guess is that this SOC will come out as an 28nm or possibility 14nm with 2gbs of memory. Maybe a Octa core A53 soc with improved gpu.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
To be fair, Microsoft had a good reason to skip from 8.1 to 10: Preventing old code (by stupid and/or lazy programmers) breaking from Windows version check.

If the said stupid programmer uses string comparisons (as was far more common in the 3.1/95/98/ME era), both Windows 95 and 98 can be collectively checked for with the string "Windows 9". See where this is going?

Given it will start in 2020 I would think 14nm as Intel should be finishing all its 14nm production leaving ample room for the PI 4 to start. That would be a good nm to allow for few years of adding side cores. At 28nm they just will get a bit of lower power requirements. It should also be a good deal higher Ghz. At 1.4Ghz that is GPU slow not even to speak of CPU slow. How about 2.4~2.8Ghz?

Ben Pottinger

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Sounds good except for the USB-C bit. I really hope they drop the micro-USB. Its gotten to the point I have to hunt for one of those cables so a USB-C would be vastly preferable. USB-3 would be a huge improvement as well.

Ben Pottinger

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
@elbert: I don't think intel leases any of their fabs to anyone else so I don't believe intel having capacity will matter. Also, broadcom makes the SoC for raspberry Pi (and their fabless so I don't know who makes it, maybe TSMC?). I looked around on the wiki and can't find out of the SoC is specifically designed by raspberry pi or if its an off the shelf design and raspberry pi just designed the board. Anyone know?

Feb 2, 2019
Editor-in-chief? This article offers no details, just confirmation that you know nothing about RPi4 except the name.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I would like it to be better for emulation because i love my Pi 3B+ but for certain arcade games it doesn't run so well which i would like to see games like Killer Instinct run smooth on the Pi 4 and maybe some PS2 emulation.

DGurney

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Come on, Micro-USB is fragile GARBAGE. USB-C may not be great, but using Micro-USB for power is DUMB. TASCAM made this blunder on their field recorders, and rendered them essentially useless for many applications.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013

It is a single board computer which mainly you could use it for web surfing or playing retro video games.
Other projects like building a robot or making a MP3 stereo system would require more money but in the end you would have cool things to play around with.
Also have no idea how you haven't heard of a Raspberry Pi after all these years.

Feb 3, 2019
So basically another useless product.
How about 4 gigabyte ram, SATA interface, WiFi + BT, the latest SnapDragon CPU. The PI is fun, but thats just it -- its a toy. Starting linux is not the same as being able to use linux for something serious. The PI foundation should be pushing the envelope and offer kick ass ARM power at low cost, not mock about with "oh lets build another kodi box" type board.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013

2gb or 4gb would be good but a better interface for the system would be having eMMc storage instead of SATA also the Pi 3/3B+ always had Wifi and Bluetooth so that would be nothing new also having the latest snapdragon CPU wouldn't make it a 35$ single board PC it would make it more like a 70$+ single board PC and for your statement saying it is a toy it really isn't since it is something to help everyone learn about building something new and cool and also teaches people about programming as well.

The raspberry pi already has wifi and bluetooth.

Everything else you describe would not allow them to keep it under $35.

If you want a LINUX PC, then just buy a laptop and install linux on it.

It's not a toy, most people that run linux on PI, use it for specific tasks, not to use it as a full blown PC. I use mine as a media player for the overhead monitor I installed on my car. It boots in less than 15 seconds and only needs microUSB power. Since it uses linux, I was able to download a script to automatically resume where the movie leaves off when I shut down and restart the car.

Feb 8, 2019
Disappointed at the ambivalence of using USB Type-C when that's going to be the port of the future. Do I have to wait till 2021 or beyond of USB Type-C?!