Review Raspberry Pi 4: Review, Buying Guide and How to Use

JWMiddleeton

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
I purchased a 4GB version of the RPi4-B in a Canakit with the works. It was $99. I installed Raspbian on it and was very impressed. I tried using it as a 2nd desktop for a short while, but realized the limitations of the unit. For not much more money I bought a Dell Optiplex 7020 with an i5-4790 CPU, 500 GB HDD and 4 GB DDR3 RAM. I had some parts to make it 8GB of RAM and a 2TB HDD. So, I'm now running Ubuntu 20.04 and lovin' it! The Pi4 is a fun computer to play with and could do as a desktop replacement if you had no other option. I'll be taking it to the beach next week and will hook it to the TV to check email, etc.

John

I had Pi4 4GB from newark.com for 55$ for a few month now. It is my tinker toy working with sensors and displays, it also works fine as an STB for bedroom TV with a gyro remote mouse. I did reuse the accessories from the previous one and only had to get HDMI cable for 2.99$ from Amazon.
The 35$ 2GB Pi4 will do just fine in this capacity too, but instead I permanently mounted it in my car as a RetroPi so my kids get to play Super Mario on those long drive trips.

It is indeed a great tinker board.

martinmarty

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012
I’m not sure where you are located but Microcenter has them them available at the listed prices and usually in stock as well. I’m lucky in that I have one within a 15 minute drive but you may not be.
Confirming this is still true. Yesterday I bought a 4GB for $45 and a 8GB for $65. (y)