News Raspberry Pi 5 Not Launching Until After 2023

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Yeah, we get the pandemic was hard but there is an obvious and measurable lag between Rasperry Pi's post pandemic sales compared to almost every other technology sector with the same reliance on chips: Cars/GPUs/Motherboards/Networking/IOT, etc. I'm not sure what the cause was but possibly poor management - I know gasp

I understand they wanted to focus on industry that relies on RBPi's for products but they have opened the door for competition from smaller Chinese/Taiwanese manufacturers that are now producing better hardware. The only saving grace is the software support being lagging. That being said, that gap in software support is closing because the community has been looking for alternatives. it's been 3 years, 6 months since the 4B's launch and at this rate it will lag by another two years for the RBPi 5 - if Upton's comment about "End of 2023" being when sales get back to normal, and THEN they will launch a 5 in 2024... Which, would mean 5+ years. Yeah, nope. You mismanaged your post pandemic production and now are scrambling to fulfill orders. Again, EVERY industry has had similar issues to overcome and is for the most part back to normal.

BTW, the recent video of Upton saying they care about the scalpers should have happened already - we are all dealing with over priced PIs. I'm glad you finally are waking up to the issue but again, too little too late for anyone that's been looking to purchase a Pi for ALL of 2021 and 2022 - it's been scalpers doubling or more. Meanwhile the competition has been selling better hardware for less. The video and this apologetic response just seem like they are scrambling to reduce bad press before it comes to bite them on the *** :LOL:

So bring on the competition, I love RBPI's mission initially to serve the maker community and tinkerers but you snooze, you lose. You focus on industry then you will lose the market that put you on the map -- And that is a lesson that we'll be reading about in 2023 and 2024 ¯\(ツ)

Last edited:

zintoki

Reputable
Sep 1, 2020
You should stop selling your production to companies who resell RPis in overpriced packs and there will be no pandemic shortage...

CDS1972

Commendable
Oct 22, 2020
Recovery year? Makes me wonder if they have an excess of Pi 4 still in inventory and want to try to sale as much of it as they can before they Pi 5.

Dec 20, 2022
Ebon and the pi foundation - I empathize with you, but also have to say that as makers it's been a long, agonizing wait, we've had enough. We understand you need to protect your business, the commercial organizations you think your business needs to support. However, not having access to boards for ~2+ years is downright ridiculous, nothing less. Time will be best judge of your actions, it's outcomes. From what i've been seeing the maker community is tired of sitting, waiting for Pi's to turn up on shelves. It's time the maker community rallied around other platforms, helped create healthy competition so that we have other options.

As much as i wish the Pi foundation success in all the great work it does, i also will be supporting other platforms in the coming months, years to make sure we have a more healthier + larger ecosystem of stable/reliable/sustainable maker platforms.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
My guess is that he's waiting for semiconductor fabrication prices to stabilize, so they can decide which node to use. That will enable them decide things like which CPU core to use & how big to make the GPU. Right now, too much is probably up in the air.

I think he's probably waiting until the Cortex-A76 enters their price range, and I'd guess it'll be made on a 14 nm node.

Anyone who doesn't want to wait can go ahead and order an Orange Pi 5, today. Do note that you'll likely face more headaches and issues with it, than you would with a Raspberry Pi.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
there is an obvious and measurable lag between Rasperry Pi's post pandemic sales compared to almost every other technology sector with the same reliance on chips:
They've recently had one supplier discontinue Pi manufacturing, because it was no longer profitable for them. I believe an issue the Pi Foundation faces is that they want to avoid/minimize any structural pricing changes, so they can ultimately continue to offer it at the previous MSRP.

I understand they wanted to focus on industry that relies on RBPi's for products but they have opened the door for competition from smaller Chinese/Taiwanese manufacturers that are now producing better hardware.
There already was competition, for many years before the pandemic. I believe the Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't mind competition, being a not-for-profit organization.

I love RBPI's mission initially to serve the maker community and tinkerers
Their primary mission is to get cheap, usable hardware into the hands of kids & educators, around the world. All the other stuff is just gravy.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You should stop selling your production to companies who resell RPis in overpriced packs and there will be no pandemic shortage...
They're doing this, I believe.

Recovery year? Makes me wonder if they have an excess of Pi 4 still in inventory and want to try to sale as much of it as they can before they Pi 5.
No, quite the opposite. They have no inventory and feel they need that long to fulfill the unmet/backlogged demand.

The only thing I'd want is more RAM right now.
More RAM than... 8 GB? Why?

Reactions: TJ Hooker

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks for this update, while I subscribe to Explaining Computers, I guess I haven't gotten to this segment yet. This makes the debate of waiting for a supply of Pi400 to come back or jump to an Orange Pi 800 simple, the 800s are in stock. They seem to be doing almost an IBM Personal PC kind of thing, which is allowing a slew of competitors to come to market (which aren't having their same supply issues) and if they don't watch it, they will be the once-was segment leader, assuming that is not already the case.

TRENDING THREADS