[SOLVED] Raspberry Pi alarm clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBuente

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Hey guys, for Christmas I was gifted a Microsoft Azure IoT kit, which contains a Raspberry Pi, a bunch of sensors, camera, mic, etc. In the kit, there's a button and a speaker included which gave me a great idea. Since I'm the worst morning person EVER, I've concluded that I will build an alarm clock. For this alarm clock, I'd like to have the speaker above my bed, but the button to mute the alarm clock across my house, in the kitchen. Now since I am completely new to messing around with a Raspberry Pi (with the exception of me putting OSMC on a few and using them as a streaming device), I am in need of some help. Obviously I will need to be wireless for this idea to come true, so I searched Amazon and found some UCEC 433Mhz Rf transmitter and receivers. I have two questions about those. 1) Can these transmit well through walls (for those who have experience with them), and 2) Will I need any other equipment to make these work?

I am planning to code this myself, in Java. I am aware there are alarm clocks I can snatch on Github; however, I haven't coded in a few months, and would like a refresher. Since I'm new to the raspberry Pi and the wireless transmitters, I was hoping someone could direct me to a guide that discusses a similar use, as I will also need to know exactly how to program these transmitters to send.

Sorry if I sound like a complete noob, I am very new to this topic, but you got to have to start somewhere right? ;)

Solution
Never used these RF modules. But looking at the specs, and tutorials, it seems that the transmitter (your button in the kitchen) will also need some form of micro-controller (does not have to be RPi) in order to send "STFU" signal to your clock.

The page at Amazon contains pretty good links for tutorials, so I'd suggest you start with establishing the wireless link first.
Never used these RF modules. But looking at the specs, and tutorials, it seems that the transmitter (your button in the kitchen) will also need some form of micro-controller (does not have to be RPi) in order to send "STFU" signal to your clock.

The page at Amazon contains pretty good links for tutorials, so I'd suggest you start with establishing the wireless link first.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.