Review Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera Review: Interchangeable Lenses, Powerful Sensor

Apr 30, 2020
I've noticed this post talks a lot about the ability to focus the lens on the High Quality Camera, and the inability to do so on the V2 Pi Camera, however you can change the focus on the V2 Pi Camera. Earlier models of the camera (and most third-party clones) have the focus fixed with a dot of glue (even these can be adjusted with enough effort, though I wouldn't want to suggest everyone do that - it's definitely worth just grabbing a V2 camera) but the V2 Pi Camera module is a lot easier to adjust the focus of; one that I purchased (and one that a friend purchased) even came with a small wrench to adjust it easily.

The main difference in the comparison photos shown in the article seems to be the focus, and seem to give the impression that the only way to do close focal work is to use the new camera, but this is not the case. I would be very interested in seeing the same comparison photos but with the focus appropriately set on the V2 module, or even better, it would be good to see comparisons in low-light performance from the new module due to the increased bit depth (I think? I haven't fully read the specs) and sensor size.

Simon Anderson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
...the V2 Pi Camera module is a lot easier to adjust the focus: [it] came with a small wrench to adjust it easily

I'd love to see that on the features list on the box: "super easy focus wrench included!" ;)

But yeah I think the comparison photo examples were unfair: clearly the V2 was just out of focus. 8MP up to 12MP is not a big difference... Hell i used to take better photos on my original 1.2MP fujifilm camera back in the day...

Given lens quality and sensor size/quality are more important than megapixels anyway i'm sure it's a huge improvement either way. Was looking up some more figures:

The sensor is an IMX477: it has 7.9mm image diagonal, the V2 is 4.6mm... For camparison, a micro 4 thirds sensor (about the smallest sensor size you get with a decent camera) is about 22mm. So not a huge sensor but a big improvement for signal to noise ratio no doubt.

Apr 30, 2020
The sensor is an IMX477: it has 7.9mm image diagonal, the V2 is 4.6mm... For camparison, a micro 4 thirds sensor (about the smallest sensor size you get with a decent camera) is about 22mm. So not a huge sensor but a big improvement for signal to noise ratio no doubt.

Yeah, I'd love to see some photos that'd allow for comparison on that front, I've wondered how one of these would perform, say, strapped to a telescope compared to the V2.

I'd love to see that on the features list on the box: "super easy focus wrench included!" ;)

Also yeah, to be honest I was surprised when it came with one! I had managed to adjust the focus on my old 1.3 module some years back, so when it came to a robotics project earlier on this year I suggested to my friends that we just use one before one of them chimed in to say that his latest purchase of a V2 board came with a wrench that made it really easy to adjust - and low and behold, the next one we got also came with an adjustment tool (this one was more of a funnel though that sat on top of the lense during adjust men, which made it a little awkward to use)! I tried again to change the focus on a 1.3 module and I admit this time around I struggled to get it to move very much.

May 10, 2020
sir, i am new here. i wish to ask how to preview the shot outdoor ?? if the display LCD is not connected and what about power source??

k9gardner

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2015
You give two examples of lenses that can be used with this camera module, but were any of them taken with the cheaper CCTV lens? I would like to see that compared to a properly focused V2 camera image.