Raspberry Pi Hits 2 Million Units Sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
It's a fun little bit of hardware. I originally got it to further my linux and python education in a hardware-oriented fashion, but instead the RPi has ended up running XBMC in the bedroom for streaming from our local network instead. I've decided I'm less of a coder, and more of a user. :) But the developer and community support of this platform is nothing short of impressive.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Yeah...I don't think bitcoin mining has any impact on RPi sales. Besides, in that example the RPi isn't doing any of the mining, it's just what the person used to monitor their mining modules. Not to mention the person is getting less than a third of the coins per day that they were getting using a GPU. I don't know how much power a mining 7850 draws, but I would guess that people who care about bitcoins would rather get 3x in the same period of time.

shaneOrules

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Whoa! 2,000,000 Raspberry Pis sold and growing!!! I mean sure they're useful... but not that useful!!! Now I don't know much about bitcoin mining but I'm assuming that it is a lot like gold mining. So all I have to say is that I am sure for every bitcoin found by a raspberry pi, I'm sure that it wastes a bunch of resources and time to make up for the money spent on the robot that the RPi company makes out of raspberry pis and spare or leftover components and scrap metal. they are probably losing more money than they are earning from the bitcoin mining. Because a robot, no matter it's function, is usually very expensive due to the fact that it is a robot. I'm sure each one of the RPi bots cost about 3 grand. That's why only mining industries can purchase them.

I am mulling over purchasing one but some things that put me off are:
HDMI port. That is very inconvenient because I do not have ANY HDMI inputs in the house.
Atleast I could get a HDMI to DVI adapter. I wish it had more options for headless.

The second is the GPIOs use 3.3V and most chips use 5v making interfacing at pain

Status
Not open for further replies.