Raspberry Pi Introduces Compute Module 3, Lite Version, And IO Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think it's funny to describe this as a cheap way to learn programming. Newegg has a Braswell N3050-based LIVA X2 system with 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of EMMC for $130. And there are probably even cheaper compute-stick solutions that are at least as fast at the Pi.

Clearly, Pi's seem aimed at hackers, hobbyists, and media streaming. I doubt very many of them are really being used as cheap desktop substitutes, even though that was their original, stated objective.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

This has some goals beyond simple programming. If all you want is cheap, the Raspberry Pi Zero still exists and costs ~$5 (but requires a microsSD card for the OS).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I know about the Pi Zero, but heard that it was effectively unavailable, even a year after launch. Can you actually get them, now?

From the sound of it, I figured it was just a publicity stunt or done for bragging rights. But it only counts if someone can actually get one.

Speaking about performance, the Pi Zero had the same specs as the original (which I own). IMO, it's too slow to be usable as a desktop (too slow for most things, really). I think there's better performance available at this price point (or that of its SoC) and much better performance in its power envelope.

I'm glad to hear these new modules are available with EMMC. The USB-connected SD card was long an Achilles Heel of the Pi. Gen 3 might actually be half decent, with EMMC (but I'd still prefer a Braswell or Apollo Lake).

Status
Not open for further replies.