News Raspberry Pi Manufacturer RS Group Ends License After a Decade

Aug 4, 2022
It would be helpful to know what percentage of Pi manufacturing RS group had, and a brief comment on the reason for this stoppage (lack of profitability?) and potential impact on Pi prices.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It would be helpful to know what percentage of Pi manufacturing RS group had, and a brief comment on the reason for this stoppage (lack of profitability?) and potential impact on Pi prices.
Yeah, I would hope than Upton would at least be able to comment on the percentage of supply they had been providing. You wouldn't get that information out of a normal commercial business, but they're not one, exactly. But he might have another reason for not disclosing the %, which is to avoid triggering more panic-buying and scalping.

As for the reason for non-renewal, the article did end with the statement:

"Tom's Hardware has reached out to RS Group for comment. This story will be updated once we receive it. "​

We just have to wait and see what they say about it, if anything. My guess is that it had become less profitable (or even unprofitable), in the current supply chain situation.

Reactions: drlava
Aug 21, 2022
Correction the pi mk1 was released in 2011, I got up at 5am to get one of the first batch. And stamped on the front says 2011

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Correction the pi mk1 was released in 2011, I got up at 5am to get one of the first batch. And stamped on the front says 2011
Yeah, I didn't think it was 2012. I got mine right after they upgraded the model B to 512 MB. It came from Element 14, though I had no idea they were the actual manufacturer until I read this article.

ks17041968

Reputable
Nov 4, 2017

They can't get the parts to manufacture Raspberry Pis (the "$35 computer"...now the $135 computer...). Now all they can do do is cancel orders and answer mails from irritated customers.

Regardless on how many they used to supply, the current limit of 6, apparently, the supply of components. That RS Components quit has no short term effect on the market, as other supplies will happily grab any components they can get hold of to manufacture Raspberry Pis...and sell them at premium rates.

In the long run - who knows, maybe RS Components will get a new licensing deal, once they can reliably manufacture and sell them again...at ordinary, not "premium rates".