News Raspberry Pi Mod Installs Wi-Fi That’s 44% Faster than Ethernet

Giroro

Splendid
If he wanted 10 Gbps speed, then he should have used a 10Gbps wired NIC instead of a wifi6 card because a "3000 Mbps" Wi-Fi 6 card is absolutely incapable of running at 10Gbps. Otherwise, I'm completely lost at what his goals and layout were with his 10 gig network. He has no 10 Gbps cabling but claims his macbook is on a 10 Gbps wired network? I'm reasonably certain Macbooks don't have ethernet. So, I don't know. Maybe he explained it somewhere in the 12 minutes I skimmed of him explaining why nobody should actually use Linux - but it sounds like this guy doesn't even sort-of have a 10Gbps network. So in context, things statements like "which let him receive networks pushing out signals up to 10 Gbps. " make me scratch my head, because every Pi can do that, just at a much slower rate. Which is also true of his Pi running at a "much faster than stock wifi but still nowhere near 10Gbps".

geerlingguy

Prominent
Dec 23, 2020
www.jeffgeerling.com
He has no 10 Gbps cabling but claims his macbook is on a 10 Gbps wired network? I'm reasonably certain Macbooks don't have ethernet.

So... I believe this article took a few liberties with the information from my video and the associated blog post.

In it, I do mention a 10 GbE network, but I mention that I'm going to be working on it soon, not that I already have a 10 GbE network.

For this project, my main concern was testing 802.11ax (specifically the Intel AX200 chipset) on the Pi CM4, and benchmarking it. Because my network and all my computers were 1 Gbps max—and even after upgrading my Dell laptop with an AX200, it would not get more than 400 Mbps over WiFi—I had trouble getting a solid benchmark.

The ultimate solution was to install the Merlin firmware on my new ASUS router and install iperf3 on it so I could do a direct benchmark over the AX wireless network. This resulted in a 1.34 Gbps benchmark between the Pi and the router.

This article seems to be a little loose with the mentions of 10 GbE—I'm going to be exploring both 2.5 and 10 GbE wired cards in a future video, and you can follow all my progress on this website: https://pipci.jeffgeerling.com