Raspberry Pi Now Has an App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
"You can choose whether to make your content free or paid: the store has a tip jar mechanism, so even if you’re not charging (and not charging will get you far more downloads), you still have the opportunity to make some money from your development work if people really like it," he said.

So it's a donation system. Just call it donations.

I hope you can also work without the app store and the app store will have filters that allow for only quality controlled stuff. This way people can be protected without the downsides of a traditional walled garden approach.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]So it's a donation system. Just call it donations.I hope you can also work without the app store and the app store will have filters that allow for only quality controlled stuff. This way people can be protected without the downsides of a traditional walled garden approach.[/citation]
I think a tip jar sounds better. Tips are usually what you give for quality service. Donations are typically to continue funding a service/project. When you get a quality app, sometimes you have all the features you could want and just want to say thanks. That's where tip jar seems more appropriate.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]So it's a donation system. Just call it donations.[/citation]
[citation][citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]I think a tip jar sounds better. Tips are usually what you give for quality service. Donations are typically to continue funding a service/project.[/citation]

If we're going to argue about what to call it, I vote for "a total rip-off!" Software is easy enough to locate - do we really want to give yet another party a chance to set themselves up as a middle-man? What users get, in exchange for paying extra to offset costs? Extra DRM, that's what. What do devs get in exchange for high merchant/transaction fees and 25% of their gross? Customers that require extra support thanks to a flaky platform and SDK. Seriously, if you "donate" $2 USD for a game, the developer is going to net less than $0.75, and they're forced to use Paypal (which itself has terms of use unacceptable for most business activity) to receive it.

Better to give these guys the finger, along with Valve/Steam, EA/Origin, and anyone else who thinks we're stupid enough to accept their meager offerings as value enough to allow them to insert themselves as middle-men like a tick drinking our blood.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Achoo22[/nom][citation]If we're going to argue about what to call it, I vote for "a total rip-off!" Software is easy enough to locate - do we really want to give yet another party a chance to set themselves up as a middle-man? What users get, in exchange for paying extra to offset costs? Extra DRM, that's what. What do devs get in exchange for high merchant/transaction fees and 25% of their gross? Customers that require extra support thanks to a flaky platform and SDK. Seriously, if you "donate" $2 USD for a game, the developer is going to net less than $0.75, and they're forced to use Paypal (which itself has terms of use unacceptable for most business activity) to receive it.Better to give these guys the finger, along with Valve/Steam, EA/Origin, and anyone else who thinks we're stupid enough to accept their meager offerings as value enough to allow them to insert themselves as middle-men like a tick drinking our blood.[/citation]
Did you even read the article?
"The Pi Store will, we hope, become a one-stop shop for all your Raspberry Pi needs; it’s also an easier way into the Raspberry Pi experience for total beginners, who will find everything they need to get going in one place, for free,"...
... "You can choose whether to make your content free or paid: the store has a tip jar mechanism, so even if you’re not charging (and not charging will get you far more downloads), you still have the opportunity to make some money from your development work if people really like it,"
Most of the software will likely be free, and the store is meant to help unify the community, not profits. A tip is a payment provided freely, without obligation, as a token of appreciation to someone who provides a service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS