News Raspberry Pi OS: Why It's No Longer Called 'Raspbian'

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
For me, Raspian always sounded a bit too much like Rasputin:

182px-Rasputin_PA.jpg

I'm not sure that's quite the image Raspberry Pi is going for...

I find the new name somewhat disappointing. I think they really should've riffed on themes of Raspberry, Pi, or Pie, to come up with something more clever and catchy. Not worth losing sleep over, but a missed opportunity.

I'm much more concerned about how Avram's 8 GB review claims the 64-bit image still uses entirely 32-bit userspace. The Linux world has over 15 years of experience with distros simultaneously supporting 32-bit and 64-bit userspace (on x86). This is not rocket science.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'm much more concerned about how Avram's 8 GB review claims the 64-bit image still uses entirely 32-bit userspace. The Linux world has over 15 years of experience with distros simultaneously supporting 32-bit and 64-bit userspace (on x86). This is not rocket science.
The 64 bit version is still in beta, hopefully they'll have implemented a 64 bit userspace by the time it's formally released.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The 64 bit version is still in beta, hopefully they'll have implemented a 64 bit userspace by the time it's formally released.
I share your hope, but realistically that's a very major change that should've happened pretty much at the outset, if they were going to do it at all.

The one bright spot is that with a 64-bit kernel, you should be able to compile your own 64-bit userspace software, or install 64-bit 3rd party packages. I assume people have even setup additional repos with 64-bit userspace components. It's just unfortunate if it has to be such a hodgepodge approach.

BTW, let's not forget that Pi v3 had 64-bit cores, as well. So, that's presumably now 2 generations of Pi's that should be able to run R.PiOS-64 (my abbreviation).

Reactions: TJ Hooker