Question Raspberry Pi Pico W instead of Pico Zero ?

Sep 20, 2022
Hi there,

I am quite new to the world of raspberry.
recently started running a pi 4 with home assistant, and now working on the next challenge.
I found an item on github that I would like to use. https://github.com/Yannicflight/oeg_kmsd.

I know of someone that he got this running on a Zero, but these are poorly available.
can anyone help me to get this running on a Pico W, I already have my Pico W running on the wifi.
I want to use the mini USB connection for the power supply, is there a possibility to solder the extra cable required directly to the board?

I would like to hear if anyone would like to help and guide me with this.

greetings stefan

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
I'm confused about what you are trying to power. I have no experience with Pi Zero;s, but I am curious. I can read the spec sheet and do google searches. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the Pi Zero can be powered from the USB connection or the VSYS pin. It can power other devices from the VBUS pin or the V3.3 pin.

One must use caution when powering another device when any Single Board Computer (SBC) is the source of the power. How much power and the SBC source? How much power does the device need?

Your first step is to study the specs.

Sep 20, 2022
I'm confused about what you are trying to power. I have no experience with Pi Zero;s, but I am curious. I can read the spec sheet and do google searches. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the Pi Zero can be powered from the USB connection or the VSYS pin. It can power other devices from the VBUS pin or the V3.3 pin.

One must use caution when powering another device when any Single Board Computer (SBC) is the source of the power. How much power and the SBC source? How much power does the device need?

Your first step is to study the specs.

I would like to power the picow via the original mini usb, and if possible solder a micro usb cable to the pinouts to connect to the oeg kms.

the oeg does not provide nutrition hence the above question.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
You'll need to know how much current the oeg kms draws. You can do that with a USB meter. Plug the USB meter into your USB power source, then plug the a USB cable into the meter then your oeg kms. These meters usually indicate amps. 0.01 would be 10mA. Check the spec on the PicoW. If the VSYS pin can provide more than oeg kms draws you can use that pin. If it draws more, you will destroy the voltage regulator on the PicoW and it will be useless.

Another option could be to find a point that is the 5V of the USB connector of the PicoW. Also find the GND of the USB connector. Solder your USB cable to the oeg kms there. Alas, the USB connector is usually a surface mount device and one usually destroys the connector, if not the PicoW, when trying to solder there.