Raspberry Pi Scheduled to Launch This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]The whole point is that it's a cheap, low-grade computer and people are paying $2500 dollars for it on ebay?[/citation]
No. I believe they were auctions of prototype boards with the proceeds going to the foundation (Raspberry Pi is a non profit organisation). In fact as I recall one of the winners also donated theirs to a computer museum.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Can't wait for THG doing a review in it!

Anyone here know what you'd compare it too?
Are there similar products in that usage/performance range?

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Can't wait for THG doing a review in it!Anyone here know what you'd compare it too?Are there similar products in that usage/performance range?[/citation]

Probably to best thing to compare it to would be a Roku, Boxee, or WD Live box, or the smartTV functionality built into today's sets. The difference with the RasPi being that you load your own software on it, so an installation of XBMC Live or some other slim down linux distro.

dgingeri

Distinguished
How do I contact the makers of this and suggest they build one with an old style serial port, a VGA connector, and a console program for use in IT for programming routers, swtiches, raid arrays, and old style Sun and HP servers? I would really, really like one of these. They could charge $300-400 for one and companies would buy them. We could probably use about a dozen.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]Probably to best thing to compare it to would be a Roku, Boxee, or WD Live box, or the smartTV functionality built into today's sets. The difference with the RasPi being that you load your own software on it, so an installation of XBMC Live or some other slim down linux distro.[/citation]
If I remember correctly, the RasPi and the Roku2 share the same SoC (which is why the foundation was able to source the chips at dirt-cheap prices, there was already someone else ordering them), so the major difference will in fact be the OS capabilities, and of course the extra I/O on the RasPi.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]How do I contact the makers of this and suggest they build one with an old style serial port, a VGA connector, and a console program for use in IT for programming routers, swtiches, raid arrays, and old style Sun and HP servers? I would really, really like one of these. They could charge $300-400 for one and companies would buy them. We could probably use about a dozen.[/citation]

I think http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/features-and-requests would be the place to go!

Still debating if i should get one. That probably means i should, at this price experimenting with it would be worth it even if I never put it to anything usefull.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]is it open-source?it would be so cool if it is.[/citation]
It's hardware!
Or did you mean the firmware for the thing?

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Just some clarification from someone who's been watching the project for awhile. The initial batch of boards will only be the model B, which is $35 (plus S&H), and because of expected demand, will be limited to one per household. This version will have ethernet, 256M of ram, a 700 mhz ARM 11 CPU, 2 USB ports, and will most likely officially run a version of the Fedora linux distribution from the built in SD card slot (card sold separately). It runs off of a USB power cable, though for the model B the power requirements are greater than USB 2 can supply, so it will need to be powered by a USB charger with high current capabilities or (I believe) by a USB 3 port.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Can't wait for THG doing a review in it!Anyone here know what you'd compare it too?Are there similar products in that usage/performance range?[/citation]
beagleboard
hawkboard
igepv2
omapzoom
pandaboard
pandora
cubox
cotton candy
any android cell phone

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]koogco[/nom]It's hardware!Or did you mean the firmware for the thing?[/citation]
didn't you ever hear about open-source hardware?
like rep-rap
search wikipedia

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm really looking forward to picking one of these up. Still pondering what kind of homemade case I'm going to use.

On a side note, I love when small companies are so open about delays. It irks me when a company just spouts some marketing BS when there is probably a valid reason for a production delay. Why not just tell us if its something innocuous like this.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]didn't you ever hear about open-source hardware?like rep-rapsearch wikipedia[/citation]
I had no idea that was actually called open source.
It would be usefull if it was, I could perhaps even use it for my last semester project. (An education called IT-engineer, electronics line.)

juncture

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
So hopefully it comes out after two missed deadlines or else we get another article stating its going to come out soon in another month...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]beagleboardhawkboardigepv2omapzoompandaboardpandoracuboxcotton candyany android cell phone[/citation]

Damn, had no idea there where so many... Thanks for the list. Have to do some reading now :)

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Can it play Crysis?
(sorry, had to..)

IF the $35 version is multi-homed, I might be interested in using one to replace my net gateway (an old HP P90 w/ Win2k on the original PSU + harddrive, running every day for the past 11+ years).

Status
Not open for further replies.