News Raspberry Pi to Power Ventilators as Demand for Boards Surges

Paul Basso

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
I think the news here is not the logic option cheap raspberry. I can't belive they still want to use intel overexpensive meltdown fiasco

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Oh man. The Pi is definitely not a medical-grade piece of electronics.

It's better than nothing, but really not what these devices should be built around.
It is not going to pass through FDA, but thats not the point.

I mean, a medical team on Colombia is even using car parts to build ventilators. And printed 3D parts.

It is improvising or letting them die. There's a chronic shortage of everything related to the pandemic, so hospitals work with what they have.

Reactions: martinch

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is not going to pass through FDA, but thats not the point.
Yes, and the reason is that it's neither robust nor reliable enough.

I mean, a medical team on Colombia is even using car parts to build ventilators. And printed 3D parts.
That's the part about it being "better than nothing". The chance of the Pi failing is probably a lot lower than other causes of death, in this case. So, if the Pi saves lives that would've been lost without it (because simply no practical alternative was available within the needed timeframe), it's a good thing. But, after the crises passes, I hope any sub-standard ventilators are replaced.

I'm not even opposed to the idea of using something like a Pi, for this. Seriously, if Broadcomm and the Pi folks would build an industrial-grade Pi, I'd be fine with that.