neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
when i read the title i was like "how a pi can read cds anyway ??"

an accurate title would me more like
"Raspberry Pi Zero Fitted in Laptop Optical Drive Bay"

or

"How to fit a Rasperry pi zero inside your laptop's optical drive bay"

Still, i don't understand ho he connects to the pi ? i guess the pi is configured to connect on his wifi, and he acces trough it ?
it means that when traveling he would need to bring the wifi router with him ? :D

(can't mock him, i crossed the Atlantic with my entire rig, PSU, Mobo, heatsink, fans, HDDS, GPU ahah)

Reactions: Scooterfitz
Aug 6, 2020
Hi neojack, he used the notebook to setup a Wifi hotspot, so yes he carries his access point everywhere his notebook goes.

Scooterfitz

Honorable
Oct 6, 2014
I agree, this title is misleading. From the title, I was expecting a project where the Pi Zero was EMULATING the optical drive, where one might load an .ISO to the Pi Zero, and the Pi Zero presented the .ISO as a physical CD/DVD/BRay to the host computer through its SATA port. I was excited about that prospect, especially considering it could possibly be adapted to other uses, like consoles that have failed optical drives.

Aug 6, 2020
Rigth, that would be great. However having a raspberry Zero there with all its connectivity .. I would use the available space to buffer the Raspberry's GPIO to avoid electrical damaging of the whole system.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
The title was sort of misleading since it had me under the impression that a Pi could read "discs" (virtually, as a only logical option), but as I read the article, the premise became more clear.