[SOLVED] RASPI 4 and SD Cards

mindwave65

Commendable
Feb 25, 2019
OK, I have 4 RPI4's, I only recall order 2, so obviously Im Amazoning in my sleep again.......

I had one of them 'low profiled' and thought there was a problem, then after a great deal of effort I found out it was fine.

ANother I have in a desktop case and setup and its doing great.

However #3 was working oin turning into a NAS, powered hub external drives, the whole deal.

It worked GREAT for 3 weeks, then I rebooted it and it wont boot.

It doesn't even appear to be TRYING. By that I mean "You know you plug an boot card into the slot, apply power and you get one LIT IC and than a second one seems to 'blink' in time with the read/boot process. - the 2nd light is never even lighting."

yet I take the card and place it in an RPI3 and boom boots right up. Installed a copy of Manjaro and it booted right up.

But I want, for this project to build a RASPBIAN.

One main thing though: Has ANYONE found there to be a big difference in your area, between types/brands/styles of SD CARDS?

In most retail areas in my city, you grad a card and they all seem to be SANDISK.

Clas10, but ALL Sandisk. I never minded because they are really cheap, but is that my issue?
Anyon found a 16GB SD card that boots and reboots over and over again, from the same SD card?

Any and all ideas appreciated,.

Thanks

j

Solution
My experience with SD cards is that cheaper one's don't work as well (or not at all) and I have never gone wrong with a name brand. There are outright forgeries, too. Not only know your brand, but your supplier, too.

The faster cards work better, too.

That said, you'll probably find that if you put Rasperian back on the card, it will work. Whether it works or not, don't use it for your NAS as its reliability is already suspect.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
My experience with SD cards is that cheaper one's don't work as well (or not at all) and I have never gone wrong with a name brand. There are outright forgeries, too. Not only know your brand, but your supplier, too.

The faster cards work better, too.

That said, you'll probably find that if you put Rasperian back on the card, it will work. Whether it works or not, don't use it for your NAS as its reliability is already suspect.

Solution

mindwave65

Commendable
Feb 25, 2019
BARK

Thanks for the recommendation, that's what I was looking for, a brand someone has had good experience with.
I have encountered fakes...ever ordered a 1TB SD card from wish.com?

But these are all from good well known retailers and a brand name retail packaged card.

However I think youre idea of looking at video purposed cards is probably a good one.

anyone else have brands other than SANDISK that works consistently for them?

Barkfunklerbunk

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
I was under the impression that, thus far, the Pi 4 doesn't have the capability to do so.

Has that changed?
I would imagine you could (I don't own a RPI4), as I did just that with my RPI 3 B+. No SD card necessary once you've set it up. There are many tutorials online. It worked perfect using a Samsung evo 860. I used an enclosure for it
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0RSg6wdxTUsObKETqXDuFs

For m.2 and sata SSDs and SD cards, I am only haved used and am familiar with Samsung.. all have worked great. I have only bought them from Amazon, so I don't know anything about wish.com