Question Rat Pee on GPU salvageable?

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
So around November of 2021, my GPU started bugging out and I found out some mice got inside my old case and practically urinated and left some mouse poop on the top of the GPU. I was still able to use it for a while until it just stopped giving out any signal. Obviously I wasn't able to RMA it. But I still have it and I was wondering if it's still salvageable.

I still have it and I was wondering if it's still salvageable.
that would depend entirely on the amount of damage done.
found out some mice got inside my old case and practically urinated and left some mouse poop on the top of the GPU
for one, get an exterminator in there
and if renting; file charges against your landlord for uncivil housing.

Well, I once worked on a PC that had mice living in it, and ya did their business on the GPU and it did work after cleaning and sealing off where they were getting into, an open expansion slot in the case, I installed a cover, it was a PC for a auto shop out in the country so it was common to have field mice there and it didn't seem to matter what they did, they even stated to me they spent thousands and they just come back.

I would not power it on, get a cue tips or cotton swabs, or even some paper towel and some 99% alcohol and clean it, try not to dump to much on it if you do not take the cooler off, if you do take the cooler off and the thermal pads, feel free to give it an alcohol bath, submerge it, and a old tooth brush will do wonders, let it dry in front of fan for at least 24 hours, no fan, 48 hours or more.

If you do have to put the PC back where the rats/mice were, definitely seal up all the areas where they can get into it, I know storage units do have mice problems, I've worked on many PC equipment and camera equipment with mice damage around this area anyway and they never seem to do anything about it.

Good luck!

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
Well, I once worked on a PC that had mice living in it, and ya did their business on the GPU and it did work after cleaning and sealing off where they were getting into, an open expansion slot in the case, I installed a cover, it was a PC for a auto shop out in the country so it was common to have field mice there and it didn't seem to matter what they did, they even stated to me they spent thousands and they just come back.

An open expansion slot was also my issue but the PSU bay was filled with poop so I had to buy a new case instead.

I haven't used the GPU since November 2021, and it has been stuck inside its box until now. I just cleaned it with some 70% isopropyl alcohol, do you think it's worth a shot to try it out on my PC now?

An open expansion slot was also my issue but the PSU bay was filled with poop so I had to buy a new case instead.

I haven't used the GPU since November 2021, and it has been stuck inside its box until now. I just cleaned it with some 70% isopropyl alcohol, do you think it's worth a shot to try it out on my PC now?

As long as its not showing any signs of corrosion, if it looks like it went under the cooler, I'd deff avoid powering on until you at least check it and even then I'd try it in a PC you don't care much about, It shouldn't hurt the PC its plugged into if it is bad, could just not work, or let out some smoke or even a little spark show, but it could also take out other components.

Rat and mic urine is vary corrosive, it'll eat right threw sheet metal in just a matter of months, a PCB and copper is much faster.

Of course there is a risk, but I couldn't tell you if its good or not, like I said, I'd try it in a PC you don't care too much about, maybe even that system the GPU was plug into initially, its vertical so less of a chance it would of took damage, unless they chewed components off the board.

I bought a lawn mower that had mice living on top of the mower and I didn't know it, the pee ate a hole threw the side of the aluminum head of the engine, its crazy what damage they can do.

TRENDING THREADS