Question Rat peed on GPU and corrosion is visible

Thriliya

Reputable
May 29, 2019
So a rat went inside with the help of the open slot just above the GPU. It peed and pooped around on the upper surface level of the GPU.

IMG-20220902-205406.jpg

If you look closely you can see corrosion is visible in the screws. The GPU still works. But I'm afraid the corrosion might kill it very soon if it reaches the core PCB inside. I have a hand rub available with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol. Should I use it in the affected area and clean the card by opening it parts by parts. Or is it just okay to leave it just as it is and let the corrosion spread!? (Which I personally think isn't a good idea) And I really won't be able to buy a new GPU soon (the market is very bad rn here) if something gets messed up. So expert's opinion wanted. Help please!

IMG-20220903-120339.jpg

GPU: Gigabyte RX 580 8GB

Thank you in advance!!

Thriliya

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Use proper isopropyl alcohol which is just the alcohol and purified water. The higher the percentage, the better.

I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those pure alcohol for rubbing electronics. That should do the job

And no, corrosion is not contagious; it's not biological. When oxidization spreads, it's because the conditions that caused it have persisted.
So if the rat can't get inside anymore and there's no more liquid around there, the corrosion or rust wont get worse over time? It should be just like as it is right?