egraham

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hey guys. I'm new to these forums, so I apologize in advance for the misplacement of this thread.

Anywho, I have just completed a custom build. The processor is an AMB Zambezi FX-4170 that I have OC'd to 4515MHz at the moment.

At maximum load for 10 minutes, the peak temperature is 52 degrees Celsius
AT minimum load (idle) for 30 minutes, the average temperature is 9 degrees Celsius

Now, I am admittedly a novice at all this, but those numbers seem really, really good to me. I'd like some input, though, if anyone cares to share it :)

The case is a COUGAR Evolution. It comes stock with two 120mm fans, but I've added another two. One on the front of the case, and one on the bottom by the PSU. I plan on adding a 140mm to the door soon. Will that make a big enough difference to make it a worthy investment?

edit: After looking back at the numbers, I made a mistake. At idle, 9C was the lowest temp recorded, but 16C was the average. A significant difference there, but it still seems good to me.

9 degrees centigrade? Are you playing in the Arctic or something?

Your PC will never operate at temperatures below those of the environment unless you use some very expensive cooling which I don't think that you have done. Before you damage something you need to find out if your sensors are wonky

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
+1^ to both of you nna and pinhead.....Update your BIOS sounds like your sensors are botched on that BIOS revision...you really thought you were idling at 9c minimum with a 16c avg....Come on now....So your delta temp is like what 2c or 34f...WoW ...Thats pretty chilly...lmao

Well it's not impossible if you have some exotic cooling such as thermolectric cooling, phase change cooling, or have a water cooling loop hooked up to the municipal water supply (ha!). The caveat of themoelectric and phase change cooling is that they will always dump more energy into the environment than they remove from the cooled surface.

nna2

Distinguished

lol, i don't have anything special, just a Hyper 212 Evo

When using C6 idle state my cores would read exceptionally low as well. Might not be a problem. I use C3 as the minimum now simply because my mobo had a stupid "buzz" sound with C6, and now the idle temps read properly at around 30C.

But... might be BIOS.

egraham

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hey, sorry it took so long. I realized only now that the readings are of the individual cores, not the whole CPU. But still, the highest my CPU gets is only in the 50s degrees Celsius.

You still need to find the problem. Nothing, I repeat nothing, will run below ambient without exotic cooling