[SOLVED] Rate my build selection?

halcyonparade

Commendable
Feb 11, 2021
This is my first PC build. I'm more or less dead set on certain parts (the ones labeled FINAL) but I wanted to know what you guys thought. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Please note that this is a somewhat budget build, so I can't go too crazy on the CPU cooler and storage. Also, the numbers on the left are the price in my local currency. they're there just for my reference.

CPU: 20,000 Ryzen 5 5600X (FINAL)
MOBO: 7,500 Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro (FINAL)
PSU: 4,150 Seasonic Core 550 Watts Gold 550 Watts GM-550 Semi Modular SSR-550LM (FINAL)
GPU: ??,??? RTX 3070 (FINAL)
MONITOR: 24,000 ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A 27" (FINAL)
RAM: 10,000 GSKILL RIPJAWS V two 16GB RAM (SEMI-FINAL)

CPU COOLER: (can't decide)
369 Deepcool Ice Edge Mini FS V2.0 (112mm)
749 Cooler Master Blizzard T2 Mini CPU Air Cooler (117 mm)
849 darkFlash L6 (136mm)
1,199 Deepcool Gammaxx 400 XT LED CPU Cooler (157mm)
1,150 Deepcool Gammaxx GTE V2 WHITE (157.5mm)
1,350 darkFlash DARKAIR A-RGB (155mm)

STORAGE: (one M.2, one SATA SSD, one HDD)
6,300 Kingston A400 960GB
7,000 Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe
5,000 Seagate 4TB Barracuda Compute

Last edited:
Solution
??,??? RTX 3070 (FINAL)
do you actually have access to an RTX 3070 for purchase? or something to hold it's place until?
if you wait around for one to be available, than you may have this system sitting on the build table for many months.
why do you want to add a hard disk?
what do you plan on using the separate disks for?

a single 500GB M.2 for OS & applications
and 2-4TB SSD for storage and\or other usage would be a better option for internal disks.
if wanting an HD for backup or similar purposes, just go with a portable external drive. it can make many things easier in the long run.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Power supply might be a little light for an RTX 3070.

Deepcool Gammaxx 400 is a decent mid-range option. Those cheaper ones aren't going to be much better than the stock cooler.

Not really sure of your storage plans there. 1TB NVMe for now, add other drives at a later time as needed. I would rather have a 2TB SATA SSD these days than a 4TB hard drive. And 4TB SSDs should be pretty cheap here in the next few years.

Reactions: helper800
??,??? RTX 3070 (FINAL)
do you actually have access to an RTX 3070 for purchase? or something to hold it's place until?
if you wait around for one to be available, than you may have this system sitting on the build table for many months.

and 2-4TB SSD for storage and\or other usage would be a better option for internal disks.
if wanting an HD for backup or similar purposes, just go with a portable external drive. it can make many things easier in the long run.

Reactions: helper800
Solution

halcyonparade

Commendable
Feb 11, 2021
Power supply might be a little light for an RTX 3070.

Deepcool Gammaxx 400 is a decent mid-range option. Those cheaper ones aren't going to be much better than the stock cooler.

Not really sure of your storage plans there. 1TB NVMe for now, add other drives at a later time as needed. I would rather have a 2TB SATA SSD these days than a 4TB hard drive. And 4TB SSDs should be pretty cheap here in the next few years.
I calculated this rig at a PSU calculator website, it only reached 415 Watts at full load. I don't really think I'll need more than 550 Watts. I'm not an expert though so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the storage advice! I'll get them one by one, starting with the M.2.

halcyonparade

Commendable
Feb 11, 2021

I have a GTX 1650 that can serve as a placeholder till GPU prices return to the human realm. I'm willing to wait for the 3070.

I plan to use the M.2 as my boot drive and main programs directory, and the SATA SSD as my gaming directory for better load times.
I need a hard disk for massive amounts of storage. I work with huge video files, so yeah. I'll consider getting an external instead, thanks!

I calculated this rig at a PSU calculator website, it only reached 415 Watts at full load. I don't really think I'll need more than 550 Watts. I'm not an expert though so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the storage advice! I'll get them one by one, starting with the M.2.
A 650w would be more appropriate for this build for 2 reasons. Firstly, PSUs are most efficient at changing AC to DC at between 40-70% load. So if while gaming or other use cases you average 350-400w of power from the PC a 650w PSU would be more efficient that a 550w PSU. Secondly, as PSUs age so do their capabilities to drive towards their maximum wattage capacities. A 550w will most likely be fine for a long time but a slightly higher wattage PSU will probably save you a few extra dollars a year on electricity. Another perk of a higher wattage PSU is that it leaves room to later grow to higher wattage parts with upgrades.

Reactions: halcyonparade

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
PSU calculator websites are not great in general.

They make a lot of assumptions. Sustained load sure, peak loads, no. So your 5600X can certainly use more than its rating, even under stock conditions, for brief periods. Same with the GPU, once it has settled down, it will be around that output level of your calculator, but if the heatsink is cool and you fire up a heavy load, it will exceed its power rating by quite an extreme amount for brief periods. Lesser power supplies will trip their over current protection and shut off.

I suggest a 650W just for the extra margin.

I plan to use the M.2 as my boot drive and main programs directory, and the SATA SSD as my gaming directory for better load times.
my current 4TB SSD for games has ~150 installed.
still ~500GB left of space.
you may be able to use that info when considering the size you want.

definitely makes it easier to have a separate location for game installations.
reinstalling >3TB of data every time i want to perform a fresh OS install would be very time consuming.

my current 4TB SSD for games has ~150 installed.
still ~500GB left of space.
you may be able to use that info when considering the size you want.

definitely makes it easier to have a separate location for game installations.
reinstalling >3TB of data every time i want to perform a fresh OS install would be very time consuming.
And very bad for the write endurance of your drive...