Question Rate my build! Will it run like a dream?

Jun 15, 2019
Hi folks, I've started piecing together my new build and wondering if I've made the right choices - will everything work together? Can I make any improvements and keep it around £900?

Budget: £800 - £1000
It will be used for: Illustrator, Photoshop, basic After Effects, coding, gaming at high-ish settings, audio recording (I have a PreSonus external sound card for this)
Preferred part shop: Amazon
Monitors: 2 x 1920x1200 monitors and Oculus Rift
OS required: No (Windows 10 key ready to go)
Overclocking: Maybe, but I'm an amateur
SLI/Crossfire: No

Proposed build:
  • Ryzen 5 2600X (already purchased) - £155
  • 16GB (2x8gb) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 Memory 3200MHz (already purchased) - £75
  • MSI B450 TOMAHAWK mobo - £90
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC Black Edition Gaming - £300
  • ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB - £80
  • EVGA 750 GQ 80+ GOLD 750W Semi Modular - £75
  • ASUS PCE-AC88 Wireless PCI-E Network Interface Card - £75
  • Case TBC, budget will be around £50-£100
= £850

Old build just for comparison (will I see a big boost?):
  • Intel Core i7-4790
  • 16GB (2x8gb) G.SKILL TridentX DDR3 1600 C7
  • ASUS H97-Plus mobo
  • Nvidia GTX 970
  • Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
  • WD Blue 1TB 7200

Honestly, you should get a decent boost in performance but if you can afford it I'd get an RTX 2070 just for future proofing but if you can't an RTX 2060 should do fine tho you could put your old SSD and WD Blue into your new system (idk if you are planning to do that)

Reactions: Manbuild
Jun 15, 2019
Honestly, you should get a decent boost in performance but if you can afford it I'd get an RTX 2070 just for future proofing but if you can't an RTX 2060 should do fine tho you could put your old SSD and WD Blue into your new system (idk if you are planning to do that)
Thanks for the feedback! The 2070 suggestion is a good one but I actually already stretched my build to include that as I was just considering a 1660ti. Also good idea on moving the old drives but I'm planning to donate the old build as-is to a school or relative or something.

Thanks for the feedback! The 2070 suggestion is a good one but I actually already stretched my build to include that as I was just considering a 1660ti. Also good idea on moving the old drives but I'm planning to donate the old build as-is to a school or relative or something.
Very nice of you! if you get a case with a lot of drive slots you can get another SSD or HDD later

Jun 15, 2019
Very nice of you! if you get a case with a lot of drive slots you can get another SSD or HDD later
I'll do that! Especially since they're so cheap now. Or maybe some kind of network drive I can access remotely? You've got me thinking now!

Would you mind if I asked about the power supply unit? I'm not sure the one I've picked is the best for performance/price balance (EVGA 750 GQ 80+ GOLD 750W Semi Modular). It's a tough item to get your head around.

I'll do that! Especially since they're so cheap now. Or maybe some kind of network drive I can access remotely? You've got me thinking now!

Would you mind if I asked about the power supply unit? I'm not sure the one I've picked is the best for performance/price balance (EVGA 750 GQ 80+ GOLD 750W Semi Modular). It's a tough item to get your head around.
The power supply quality is good esp. because EVGA made it sometimes you have to throw a little more than you need to but it'll be worth it because you will have upgrade room probs and overclocking room and won't have to worry abt it exploding (aka popping) after awhile aka possibly killing your ENTIRE system in some cases so that PSU should do good for you

Reactions: Manbuild