Question Rate my i3, DDR5 no gpu build plan

Foyezes

Prominent
Mar 26, 2022
I'm planning on building a pc mainly for 3d work and gaming. I'm planning on upgrading some of the parts in the future.

CPU: i3-12100
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro DDR5
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast 1x16gb 5200Mhz DDR5 ( Wanted to get 2x8 ram kits but none available )
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe 4 M.2
Case: MSI MAG FORGE 111R Mid Tower Case
GPU: Currently on a tight budget, but planning on getting a 1660s or ti, 3050 or better

My plan is to upgrade the i3 for an i5 in a few years, add another 16gb of ram, hopefully get a gpu this year.

Don't know where you are, but:

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-4800MHz-Desktop-Memory-CT2K8G48C40U5/dp/B09HWDB1F8

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-16gb-288-pin-ddr5-sdram/p/N82E16820156286?quicklink=true

2 x 8 DDR 5 at above links for about 95. Same kit from 2 sources.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0RN-001J-013T4?Item=0RN-001J-013T4

Kingston Fury 2 x 8 DDR 5 for 138.

I'd certainly try to avoid a single stick.

I think that board is pretty good. Considering it myself.

I'd also consider the MSI B660M Mortar Wifi.

Reactions: Foyezes
I'm planning on building a pc mainly for 3d work and gaming. I'm planning on upgrading some of the parts in the future.

CPU: i3-12100
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro DDR5
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast 1x16gb 5200Mhz DDR5 ( Wanted to get 2x8 ram kits but none available )
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe 4 M.2
Case: MSI MAG FORGE 111R Mid Tower Case
GPU: Currently on a tight budget, but planning on getting a 1660s or ti, 3050 or better

My plan is to upgrade the i3 for an i5 in a few years, add another 16gb of ram, hopefully get a gpu this year.
for gaming you dont need two ram modules with ddr5, single stick is dual channel already, no benefit (or very tiny) with second module, for 3d work you might need it..depends on how big data you work with

Foyezes

Prominent
Mar 26, 2022
More storage.
A single 500GB 980 Pro is not nearly enough for games and 3D content creation.

Drop that down to a 970 EVO, and increase the size.
Went with the 980 because of double the R/W speed of the 970. I'll keep the games on 2.5 inch ssd or hdd. Maybe I'll get a 970 evo 1TB in the future.

USAFRet

Titan
Went with the 980 because of double the R/W speed of the 970. I'll keep the games on 2.5 inch ssd or hdd. Maybe I'll get a 970 evo 1TB in the future.
Unless you are reading/writing between 2x 980 Pro, you'll likely not see any real difference.

For instance, saving a large new 3D file of whatever, there is little or no difference in time between the various flavors of SSD. Even between the 980 Pro and a SATA III SSD.
(yes, I've tested this)
The rest of the system has much more impact.

The 980 Pro can't hurt, but don't expect a magical 2x faster in your day to day operations.

Foyezes

Prominent
Mar 26, 2022
Unless you are reading/writing between 2x 980 Pro, you'll likely not see any real difference.

For instance, saving a large new 3D file of whatever, there is little or no difference in time between the various flavors of SSD. Even between the 980 Pro and a SATA III SSD.
(yes, I've tested this)
The rest of the system has much more impact.

The 980 Pro can't hurt, but don't expect a magical 2x faster in your day to day operations.
I was thinking about that after you replied, I've been watching some comparisons on youtube and I think I'm going to reconsider my pick

I3-12100 is a fine budget pick for gaming.
Since you are on a budget, look for the DDR4 version of a B660 based motherboard.
DDR4 performs about the same as DDR5 and the motherboard and ram will be cheaper.
Buy a 2 x 8gb ram kit up front. Do not plan on upgrading ram by adding another stick.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.
If you think you will ever need 32gb, buy that up front, or plan on replacing the old ram with a 32gb kit.
16gb is fine for gaming if you are also not multitasking.

Love the samsung ssd devices.
But money spent for the 500gb 980 pro could be better spent on a 1tb 970 EVO+
You will not notice the theoretical extra sequential speed of the 980 PRO.
Most of what we do is random. If you have no budget issues, then fine.
Here is an amusing video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

What is the psu?
Look for something in the 750w range because your 12100 can run a much stronger graphics card.
Do not go cheap on the psu, look for a 7 to 10 year warranty.

Most pc upgrades come in the form of a stronger graphics card.
Plan on that.
But, it turns out as a practical matter, that by the time that a cpu upgrade is warranted, most will opt for the latest gen and a new motherboard.

Foyezes

Prominent
Mar 26, 2022
I3-12100 is a fine budget pick for gaming.
Since you are on a budget, look for the DDR4 version of a B660 based motherboard.
DDR4 performs about the same as DDR5 and the motherboard and ram will be cheaper.
Buy a 2 x 8gb ram kit up front. Do not plan on upgrading ram by adding another stick.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.
If you think you will ever need 32gb, buy that up front, or plan on replacing the old ram with a 32gb kit.
16gb is fine for gaming if you are also not multitasking.

Love the samsung ssd devices.
But money spent for the 500gb 980 pro could be better spent on a 1tb 970 EVO+
You will not notice the theoretical extra sequential speed of the 980 PRO.
Most of what we do is random. If you have no budget issues, then fine.
Here is an amusing video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

What is the psu?
Look for something in the 750w range because your 12100 can run a much stronger graphics card. Will change the 980 pro to 1tb 970 evo+.
Do not go cheap on the psu, look for a 7 to 10 year warranty.

Most pc upgrades come in the form of a stronger graphics card.
Plan on that.
But, it turns out as a practical matter, that by the time that a cpu upgrade is warranted, most will opt for the latest gen and a new motherboard.
I went with the DDR5 motherboard because I don't plan on changing the motherboard and ram for at least 5 years. I think DDR5 will age better than DDR4. Will try to get a 2x8 ram kit. I'll use my current 350W thermaltake psu for now. Plan on upgrading PSU when I get a GPU.