Rate my Origin PC Build :D

dkdow0

Distinguished
May 8, 2013
Corsair 800D
Case Lighting: Green LED
System Cooling: ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling Systems
Case Fans: ORIGIN High-Performance Ultra Silent Fans - Red
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X PRO 2.0 (SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0) - (Free upgrade from M5A99X)
Processors: AMD FX 8350 Octa-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo), 8MB Cache
Graphic Cards: Single AMD Radeon HD 7870 1GZ edition
Power Supply: 850 Watt Corsair TX850M
Memory: 16GB 1600Mhz (2x8GB)
Operating System: Genuine MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition
Hard Drive One: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 6.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache
Hard Drive Two: 120GB Corsair Neutron GTX
Optical Drive One: 24X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability (No DVD Playback Software for Windows 8 Included)
Audio: On Board Audio
Networking: Wireless PCI Express Desktop Adapter (Free Upgrade)
Warranty: 2 Year Part Replacement and Free Shipping Warranty with Lifetime Labor/24-7 Support
ORIGIN Maximum Protection Shipping Process: ORIGIN Wooden Crate Armor
2 Year Evolve Part Upgrade Service with Free Shipping

Feedback I am chasing:

Any imbalances within my system (excessive/insufficient power supply/cooling system etc).

Any cost effective improvements you would reccomend

Your general thoughts about my build (like dislike etc)

Feel free, nothing is irrelevant, after as much feedback as I can. I'm a rookie when it comes to hardware etc so hoping this will help me rest easy knowing i've done alright.

Have already purchased also a razer chacharias headset, razer deathadder mouse and deathstalker keyboard (So much green :D).

Also, purchased a samsung S24B300H 24 inch monitor, and will be purchasing another for a dual monitor setup.

Tell me things!

dkdow0

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

As I already mentioned I'm fairly novice at this sort of stuff. I got it prebuilt because I'd prefer to have the warranty etc.

Cost was just over $3000 Aud for anyone whos wondering.

dkdow0

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

Not sure if I have room for 3. When gaming i'd simply run the game on one monitor and leave the second to talk to friends or whatever on.

dkdow0

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

Cost me like $20 for the psu upgrade from 650 so I figured it left me open to any future upgrades etc. Too larger power supply can't hurt, can it?

As for choosing amd over intel, Amd processors were simply cheaper, and I'd heard when choosing an Amd processor it has best synergy with a graphics card from the same company.

$3000 Aud?! For that, you could design something five times that good and pay someone $500 to assemble it, with some left over on the side.

Edit: Or, for that matter, design a reasonable build (which would still almost certainly be equal or better) for half of it, and keep the rest as insurance/replacement money.

dkdow0

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

Is my build really that bad :s? Does everyone else agree with this dude?

dkdow0

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

Do you find this to be true for all origin pc's or is it just the build i have chosen :s?

I don't know much about Origin, actually, but most custom assembly places tend to overcharge like its going out of style. It varies on how much, but I've yet to see an instance where a custom assembly place came anywhere near the price efficiency of building it yourself (or even buying the parts and paying a local assembler).

dkdow0

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

Thanks dude I think i'll tell them I have cancer or something and get a refund.

My pleasure. Thank you for the laugh your planned excuse just gave me.
If you want any help setting up a more price-efficient build, you should consider starting a topic. There are a lot of excellent designers here who would be happy to help. And if none of them show up, there's always me. :D

ThomasJ93

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Isn't there some rule in Australia that states you can return something you bought online within a certain amount of days? Here in the Netherlands you can return basically anything you buy online, without even giving a reason. As long as it's in the original packaging of course. This is within several days by the way.

dkdow0

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

Thanks. Just got off the phone to them. 20% cancellation fee because apparently they've committed to my build even though its not supposed to even be shipped for 21 days. $600 down the drain. Fuck if my girlfriend really did have cancer i'd be pissed.

Still think its worth cancelling? Told them id think about it.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

you will have warranties for every part you buy so the warranty they offer is useless anyway

intel is just as good with an amd gpu as amd is with an amd gpu.

Well, here's an example of what you could have assembled for you for less than what you'd have left:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.00 @ Scorptec)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($155.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($149.00 @ Scorptec)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($409.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($409.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D ATX Full Tower Case ($315.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($165.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $2160.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-08 16:52 EST+1000)

There are better builds, to be sure, but it's what I could come up with as an example on short notice. How do you feel it compares?

dkdow0

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

Considering it has two video cards that are both better than the one i was going to end up with...
damn.
Ima write a long email and see if i can get outta this $600 shit.

I live in a decent sized city, plenty of computer places. Will they generally do custom builds? Any idea how much places charge for shit like this?

Many of such places do. Costs vary quite a bit, so I couldn't really give a projection. However, I'd be quite surprised (nay, horrified beyond words) if what they charged was out if your price range, even if you only had $2,400.

dkdow0

Distinguished
May 8, 2013
a $528 dollar cancellation fee later and my dealings with origin pc are concluded. Bummer.

Will post a link to a thread of me creating a new build momentarily for all those who are interested :) Thanks

Latest posts