Question rate my (planned) build

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Bongert/saved/#view=Fj6QD3

I'm planning on upgrading my build and ill change virtually every part. Some I've already changed or at least purchased like the CPU, Cooler, Case and NVMe drive but i want some suggestions for the other parts. I'll try to give some explanaition for my choices though:

CPU: Pretty simple, i want a nice upgrade from my current 2600 and im sure this will last me a while. i dont think id Need a new cpu until two gens later. i dont play the highest demanding games usually but i want a bit more out of my gaming experience. Im aiming for a 1440p 144Hz rig and i cant even reach 50 fps at 1080p in MonsterHunter World with my current 2600 and 1060.

Cooler: its big and it works well, what else is there to say?

Motherboard: Now for this i have to actually do some explaining. I want to have a raid storage solution inside my case instead of going for a NAS and i need quite a bit. I spent plenty of time choosing the right MB and chose this one for the simple reason that it offers everything i need at the cheapest price (from a brand i trust). i dont plan on doing overclocking so i dont need a super advanced MB.

Memory: i think 3600 MHz at 16 CL is a good balance but the reason i went for four sticks instead of two is that according to GamersNexus, using four sticks with Ryzen 3 CPUs actually has a tangible difference in Performance unlike prior cpus where dual channel was the only sensible thing.

Storage: I already own the NVMe, ist good enough and 500 GB is fine as well. The four HDDs i already mentioned, i need them for my storage solution as well as the storage Card that is shown under the custom parts section.

Case: Again, i already own it, im very pleased with it. I have four noctua A14 fans, two intake, two exhaust, and temps are fine despite them running very low. and even if the new parts need better cooling, just running the fans a bit faster should do the trick.

PSU: Now this is a choice where most will raise an eyebrow. The only Thing that kills a powersupply is heat. and if you go with one thats very close to what you need, your psu will A) run hot all the time, shortening ist lifespan and B) youll have to swap it out as soon as you upgrade. I Chose a 1200W PSU because it guarantees that it will run cool all the time and should i upgrade i dont need to grab a new PSU as well. I mean, theres a reason manufacturers give a whole 10 year warranty, PSUs dont break unless they run hot all the time.
and i forgot to add that the 1200W version is like 50€ more than the 850W one, so instead of buying a new PSU every upgrade id rather go with a high end one and save a buck in the long run.

The monitor ive choosen isnt really final, though im probably going for this one as it ticks all the boxes. the only Thing im scared of is IPS glow, but ill probably look into that again.

Youve probably noticed i dont have a GPU, the reason is very simple, the prices are completely f****d so i cant make a choice based on price to performance. Tho ill probably aim for a 3080 if prices relax again, but again, i cant really choose a specific card with prices like this.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Bongert/saved/#view=Fj6QD3

I'm planning on upgrading my build and ill change virtually every part. Some I've already changed or at least purchased like the CPU, Cooler, Case and NVMe drive but i want some suggestions for the other parts. I'll try to give some explanaition for my choices though:

CPU: Pretty simple, i want a nice upgrade from my current 2600 and im sure this will last me a while. i dont think id Need a new cpu until two gens later. i dont play the highest demanding games usually but i want a bit more out of my gaming experience. Im aiming for a 1440p 144Hz rig and i cant even reach 50 fps at 1080p in MonsterHunter World with my current 2600 and 1060.

Cooler: its big and it works well, what else is there to say?

Motherboard: Now for this i have to actually do some explaining. I want to have a raid storage solution inside my case instead of going for a NAS and i need quite a bit. I spent plenty of time choosing the right MB and chose this one for the simple reason that it offers everything i need at the cheapest price (from a brand i trust). i dont plan on doing overclocking so i dont need a super advanced MB.

Memory: i think 3600 MHz at 16 CL is a good balance but the reason i went for four sticks instead of two is that according to GamersNexus, using four sticks with Ryzen 3 CPUs actually has a tangible difference in Performance unlike prior cpus where dual channel was the only sensible thing.

Storage: I already own the NVMe, ist good enough and 500 GB is fine as well. The four HDDs i already mentioned, i need them for my storage solution as well as the storage Card that is shown under the custom parts section.

Case: Again, i already own it, im very pleased with it. I have four noctua A14 fans, two intake, two exhaust, and temps are fine despite them running very low. and even if the new parts need better cooling, just running the fans a bit faster should do the trick.

PSU: Now this is a choice where most will raise an eyebrow. The only Thing that kills a powersupply is heat. and if you go with one thats very close to what you need, your psu will A) run hot all the time, shortening ist lifespan and B) youll have to swap it out as soon as you upgrade. I Chose a 1200W PSU because it guarantees that it will run cool all the time and should i upgrade i dont need to grab a new PSU as well. I mean, theres a reason manufacturers give a whole 10 year warranty, PSUs dont break unless they run hot all the time.
and i forgot to add that the 1200W version is like 50€ more than the 850W one, so instead of buying a new PSU every upgrade id rather go with a high end one and save a buck in the long run.

The monitor ive choosen isnt really final, though im probably going for this one as it ticks all the boxes. the only Thing im scared of is IPS glow, but ill probably look into that again.

Youve probably noticed i dont have a GPU, the reason is very simple, the prices are completely f****d so i cant make a choice based on price to performance. Tho ill probably aim for a 3080 if prices relax again, but again, i cant really choose a specific card with prices like this.
PSU is way overboard, that much horsepower doesn't make it any better or cooler running.
Are you sure that those HDDs are SaS compatible ?
What GPU you have now ?

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
the PSU has a zero fan mode where it wont start spinning until a certain threshhold, so i think im fine.

As far as i know Sata and SaS are interconnectable. I know at least that i can plug Sata drives on SaS controllers and ports. they work fine.

My current GPU is a GTX 1060 and my CPU is ryzen 3 2600