Rate my rig

ScopeThaGecko

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
heey guys,

i am just wondering what the rest of the world thinks about my gaming rig. if you could, please rate my rig out of 10 stars.
im running:
-Spire x2
-Seasonic M12II-520 Bronze 520 Watt, 20+24 Pins
-ASRock z77 Extreme 4
-Intel -i7-3770k 3.5GHz (OC to 4.2GHz)
-Scythe Mugen 3 PC Gamer Version
-XFX Radeon HD 7950 Black Edition Double Dessipation (OC to 1GHz)
-Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Blue 16 GB, PC3-12800, 1600 MHz
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB, 7200 Rpm, 32 MB/second

i am going to upgrade my PSU to an "Corsair HX850 850 Watt, 20+24 Pins" and i am going to get a second GPU, wich will be an exact copy of this GPU and i will also run this OC to 1GHz in crossfire with my current GPU.
i never get CPU temp above 36C and GPU temp above 63C even at max load.

so if you could rate my rig before and after the upgrade, that would be great.

PS: if you know a better PSU for about the same price please reccomend it to me, i know a 750Watt should be fine but i like to have the extra "space"

sincerely,

Gecko

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
It's a good well rounded computer but not what I would call strictly a gaming rig. You could have bought an i5 and put more money towards the GPU which would have allowed you to purchase a 7970 GHz or something. Also 16GB of ram is a bit unnecessary for games.

For a general gaming/entertainment PC I'd give it a 9/10, for pure gaming an 8/10.

With a second 7950 and a new PSU, maybe becomes 9/10 for games.

ScopeThaGecko

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

yeah it is quite that but i want to run games like bf3, crysis 3, bioshock infinite and many more on ultra settings at very high fps.

also i appreciate your psu reccomendation but i'm going for an 80+ gold certified over a bronze :)
since i don't really worry about the costs

but.. i actually do find SSD's a bit too high in costs, i really do want at least 1TB storage capacity and i refuse to use external hard drives and stuff so an ssd wont be it

ScopeThaGecko

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

yeah your'e correct there, i am wrong in my choice of words. i also use my pc for video editing and more so the i7 was quite worth the expense :)

but still thanks

ScopeThaGecko

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

ahahaah yeah i really do want a ssd but im waiting for it to better developed so i can get a 1tb ssd for something under 1000 bucks xD

The PSU you want to get costs $75 more than the one AlderronX posted. Have a look at this article:
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/143029-empowered-can-high-efficiency-power-supplies-cut-your-electricity-bill/3
You can draw conclusions based on the plus/silver vs bronze/gold (should be similar results) and yours is closer to the 750W scenario than the other.

At average rates with average use (4 hours full load, 8 hours idle, 12 hours off, 365 days a year) it would take you roughly 8 years to cover your investment. Otherwise, you actually lose money by getting a more efficient PSU. If you live in an area with costly electricity or have very high load percentages on a regular basis then it becomes a good move.

ScopeThaGecko

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

hmm i did not know that, thanks

If you enjoy staring at loading please wait screens, virus scans, etc then you don't need an SSD. I loathe it and it's one reason I rarely fire up the PS3.

120GB gets your OS, productivity apps, and three or so huge games (or many smaller ones). On my "old" SSD, Skyrim loaded so fast there were times when I couldn't even read the "boredom reduction factoid" in between areas. I ran a full virus scan on 90GB of files on an SSD in the same time it took to do a quick scan of 50GB on a 7200rpm drive.

I will never, ever, go back to an archaic spinning platter for my primary drive. Of course, these leftovers from yesteryear are still good for storing tons of music, powerpoints, and movies.

ScopeThaGecko

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

oow wow thats amazing, i think i might look into ssd's, but my wallet is starting to cry xd
first im going to do my psu and second gpu than ill get i think about 2 120gb ssd.

thank you A LOT

TRENDING THREADS