[SOLVED] Rate my Rig

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

godspanther

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
After a recent upgrade these are my specs:
Xigmatek Elysium Super Tower
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Dodeca-core, 24-Thread Unlocked Processor
ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE Gaming Motherboard AMD AM4 SATA 6Gb/s M.2 USB 3.2 Wi-Fi 6 Extended-ATX
(boot) - OCZ 512GB Vertex4 2.5" Internal SSD VTX4-25SAT3-256G
SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal M.2 SSD
(2) - Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 [Raid-0 Array]
(4) - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-4000C18Q-128GVK
(2) - XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 Black Edition 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (RX-580P8DBDR)
LEPA G Series 1600-Watts ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready Crossfire 80+ Gold Certified Full Modular 240-Pin 1700 PSU
LG Electronics CH12LS28 LightScribe 12x SATA Blu-ray Disc Combo
LG Electronics WH14NS40 14X SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter
ORICO PVU3-5O2I 7 Port USB 3.0 PCI - Express Card
Akasa 3.5" USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Memory Card Reader w/ eSATA and USB (AK-ICR-17)
Kingwin USB 3.0 Dual Port PCI Bracket
ALTEC LANSING ATP3 30 Watts RMS 2.1 Speaker
Altec Lansing Expressionist-PLUS FX3021 2.1
Primary moniter: BenQ XL2720T 27" 3D Ready LED LCD Monitor
Secondary moniter: VIZIO VM3D550D 55in 3D RAZOR LED
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2013 keyboard
Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Laser Mouse 5600 DPI
I run Windows 7 because 10.

Mod Edit - Watch the Language

Last edited:
Solution

IMO, Norton sucks and you're better off, by far, using other solutions.

Windows 10 destroys Windows 7 in practically EVERY regard, bar none. There is actually not a single thing Windows 7 does better or more efficiently than Windows 10, and aesthetically, if that is your main gripe, that can easily be solved by running Classic shell with Windows 10 and choosing the Windows 7 shell option so that it looks the same, or in fact, like practically any version (Or none) of Windows that you want. Technically speaking, Windows 7 doesn't realistically offer anything, nothing, and I invite anybody who disagrees to show some kind of proof to the contrary, actual proof, better or even AS good as Windows 10 behind the curtains.

Then you have a...
D

Deleted member 2838871

so if somebody told me they bought an EVGA power supply my only answer would have to be "Hmm, really? What MODEL did you get?"

Ok... I bought an EVGA power supply... like I did with the previous two builds.

What model? EVGA G1+ 1000W

What review? G1+ review

This was in early December and availability played a big part too... this was one of the few that I actually found in stock ($199.99) and of course they are now sold out. :LOL:

g-unit1111

Titan
No it wasn't. It was an excellent power supply when it was new. Unfortunately, that was too long ago for it to be very reliable or trustworthy anymore.

If it was MY hardware, there is no way, at all, I'd even consider running a power supply that old in any system with hardware I really cared about, much less hardware running into the thousands of dollars. It's a good way to create a bad day scenario.

But if that unit was new, even given the age of the platform it uses, I'd have little worry using it.

I knew there were some 1600W that were mediocre and sub par, but then again it's been years since those kinds of PSUs were neeeded. And yeah like I said even the best PSUs wear out over time. Last year I had to replace a 7 year old Seasonic with a Corsair RMx and my system was fine after that.

Well, since that is the only review, I don't have much choice but to go with it although I'm not a huge fan of the reviews at PC perspective because I think they tend to lean a bit towards making every product look great unless it has glaring faults that are impossible to ignore.

The specs for that unit look pretty decent though and the build quality seems good. FSP is the OEM and we know that they CAN make some very good units, but they don't always. There are some real crap units out there made by FSP, just like a lot of OEMs.

Without any contrary evidence though, I can't say anything against it really. Anyhow, we should get back on topic of helping the OP.