[SOLVED] Rate my scuffed PC

Feb 20, 2020
Hi everyone :)

I am fascinated by technology, however, my PC knowledge is limited. I have been watching many PC channels on youtube, but I have a hard time finding help for my specific build.

I was, therefore, thinking if anyone here would rate my build, that I upgraded mostly one piece at a time over the last 10 years.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4grB4n

I usually play not very GPU demanding games, such as CSGO, Fortnite, LoL, PUBG.

Is there anything screaming "OMG are you still having this part in your system??!" and could drastically improve my gaming experience, or is everything "balanced" in a way.

Also, my PC case is 10 years now and looks nasty, bulky and weigh a lot. And recommendations to mid-tower? was thinking about H500 or P400A

Thank you in advance, guys :)

PS. I have stock cooler from AMD, could't find it on this website.

Solution
Well you are looking at a Samsung 850 Evo, that is a very old model, relatively, replaced by the 860 Evo, and now the 960 Evo. It's literally been sitting on someone's shelf for the last 2 years or so, so people can ask whatever price they want. For the same price you can get a Crucial P1 1Tb NVMe. In the US.

Other markets outside of major electronics sources like the US or Eur have a tendency to have greater local access to older equipment, simply due to pricing. In some indo-asian markets, lga1155 is still huge, lga1151 costing far too much for the average person. So older units like the 850 retain some popularity, but local prices are far lower than what's found in the US.

For example, Amazon might buy 1M 850s for $10 each. Sell...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Prices change according to demand, availability, source etc. So while other models that are similar might be much lower, an older or smaller model with limited supply or availability might cost more. There was a time not so long ago when 16Gb of 2400 Cas16 cost almost 1.5x as much as 16Gb of 3200 Cas16, simply due to the vast amount of 3200 kits for sale and its resultant competition prices and the small amount of people wanting 2400 ram.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well you are looking at a Samsung 850 Evo, that is a very old model, relatively, replaced by the 860 Evo, and now the 960 Evo. It's literally been sitting on someone's shelf for the last 2 years or so, so people can ask whatever price they want. For the same price you can get a Crucial P1 1Tb NVMe. In the US.

Other markets outside of major electronics sources like the US or Eur have a tendency to have greater local access to older equipment, simply due to pricing. In some indo-asian markets, lga1155 is still huge, lga1151 costing far too much for the average person. So older units like the 850 retain some popularity, but local prices are far lower than what's found in the US.

For example, Amazon might buy 1M 850s for $10 each. Sell for $100. 2 months later the 860 comes out but competition forces the sale of the 860 to $100 and nobody buys the 850 anymore, even at $75. So the warehouse is full of stock that doesn't sell. So Amazon sells all 1M units to AbuDabi Express for $15 a unit, makes a nice profit, and AE then sells at $50 a unit and makes a really nice profit because in his market the 860 is $200. Everybody wins, including the 1M buyers of the 850s.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 20, 2020
Haha, that is crazy the way you put it! I was mostly thinking about replacing RAM or CPU, and didn't even consider upgrading SSD, as I believed they were "all the same". As you mentioned 970 EVO plus, it is 6 times faster than my current SSD. 3300mbs vs 540mbs. Is it a considerable difference putting it into day to day use?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes and no. Ssd speeds are incredibly fast, upto the point where it becomes moot. Boot times will improve with NVMe, a little bit. What would take 3 minutes with a 7200rpm HDD, takes 20 seconds with a Sata3 SSD, but still 16 seconds with NVMe, it still takes time not just to read/write, but also for the cpu to process etc.

When reading millions of really small files, like used in games, a 5k file takes a hdd a second, a Sata3 1/20th of a second and a NVMe 1/10th of a second, but the cpu/gpu still has to process all that info, so fps doesn't change much at all overall.

The biggest difference by far is in large files, like legal documents that can be 10Gb or more for a single file. That's a 10minute access time for a hdd, 30 seconds for Sata3 or 10 seconds for NVMe. That's huge.

So it can make a vast difference in some aspects, very small in others, but things like map load times will be somewhat faster because they are larger files. But load times on a gun or t-shirt or background building file will be more dependent on cpu processing speed than storage read speed as you'll not see any difference with individual load times on small files.

Stand on a street corner. Car drives past you at 20kph. Same car drives past at 100kph. Huge difference you'd notice. Same car drives past at 150kph. You couldn't tell the difference in 2nd or 3rd, only that it was very fast. Too fast for you to get something to measure by.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
Wow, thank you so much for your in-depth explanation of hard drives and how they work. That is very fascinating and puts things into perspective.

I would also thank you, envy14tpe for your feedback. I was thinking the same about the RAM and also GPU. I was also hardly considering replacing CPU as I believe that it would improve FPS in games such as CSGO, which I play a lot. However, at that point, it feels like replacing the entire system. Dilemma

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
2nd Gen Ryzen won't see much, if any, improvement with 3600MHz, if it'll even accept those speeds. OP would be best off with either 3200MHz or move to 3rd gen Ryzen cpu that will happily accept 3600.

The problem lies with the cpu and the memory controller and how it correlates to the Infinity Fabric Ryzens use. With 2nd Gen, it'll use a 1:1 ratio upto 3433MHz, after which it switches to a 2:1 ratio, so 3600 actually ends up working like it's 1800MHz. That puts 3200 as the sweet spot of best speed/value. Same applies to 3rd Gen, it's sweet spot is 3600MHz because the cpu switches to 2:1 ratio at 3733MHz, so 3800MHz ram works like 1900MHz when communicating between the cores. Ram might work faster, but multiple core speeds take a hit.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
Oh, I didn't knew about this concept of memory controller and the correlation. I was thinking about buying 3600 16GB ram, but I guess that it is pointless to do before updating CPU aswell. Does anyone know right of the bat if my motherboard is suitable for 3rd gen processor?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The B450 MAX versions are fully rated out of the box for 3rd gen, the B450 non-MAX only might require the bios updated in order to be fully compatible. Much depends on the exact manufacturing date of the motherboard. And that's the trixy part as you'd need a 1st or 2nd Gen cpu to update the bios for 3rd gen use. A 2nd Gen bios won't recognize a 3rd then cpu, nor third gen applicable ram, until the bios is updated with the 3rd Gen info and microcode.

Is the build list what you have now, or is this a prospective build?
Regardless, it is a reasonable set of parts.
I see no need to change anything out.
Cases are a personal thing, if you want a new case, then fine, but do not expect any functional improvement.
The H500 or P400A would be very good from a looks and functionality point of view.
Sounds like you have some money and the itch to spend it.

No good need to change the ssd unless you are running out of room.
You might consider a larger/higher resolution monitor for more immersive gaming.
Keep the old monitor as a side monitor for such things as email or performance monitors.