[SOLVED] Rate my upgrade / what am i doing wrong?

Hunchback

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
Hello all,

I am planning a well overdue upgrade for my wife's PC, probably to be done around xmas / early January. I've been watching the market for a while and reading reviews and guides, but i am still not entirely sure about the choices. I'll try to give some info in a structured manner so that it's clear and fast to read.

Goal:
Upgrade an oldish PC used for generic gaming (no VR, no 4k, no pro-play, all types of games played) and video editing/encoding. We aim to "future proof" the build so that it can last a couple of years (current MB/CPU setup is +5 years old). The main decision factor is the price/quality ratio, we are not looking for top-end, bleeding edge insane gear or crazy OC capabilities.

Current build:
  • MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
  • CPU: Don't have the exact model, but it's an i5 circa 2013. (will check when back at home)
  • RAM: 16gb DDR3 (1600?)
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce 6G
  • PSU: Enermax Naxn - 600W (not sure if it's still that one)
  • HDD: 1 disk based Baracuda something and 1 Samsung SSD
  • Case: Fractal Design Core 1000

What we are looking to change:
  • MB
  • CPU
  • Case
  • RAM

What i have selected so far:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
  • MB: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8Gb DDR4 3000MHz
  • Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-05

Questions:
  • General - Is it a good moment to invest or are there big prices changes expected soon that warrant waiting?
  • CPU - I've never had good experiences with AMD products, but according to all reviews i've read their new CPUs are actually damn good. Considering the PC is used not only for gaming (that doesn't benefit that much from 8 cores, if at all) but for video work, i decided to go AMD instead of Intel to gain on productivity there. Is that a good choice?
  • MB - I am not sure about X470 vs X570. Are the 570 "only" better because of their PCIe4 and USB slots or is there something i am missing? If that's the case, i suppose in the very long run X570 will be better to allow future GPUs to work, but then again the price difference is quite significant... Not sure if it's worth it getting one NOW rather than waiting and upgrading the MB when a new gen GPUs is imposed by games.
  • Case - We've practically picked a cheapish, decent looking case from a decent manufacturer. No idea if there are better options for sub 100 euros.
  • Anything else i am missing?

Solution
I would look for deals around Black Friday, but right now the prices on things like dram are rather low.

3700x is a very good CPU for both gaming and video editing. Infact when using adobe software the 3700x is sometimes as fast as the i9 9900k.

X470 motherboards may need a bios update prior to using a 3700x. If the board doesn't have this update, you will need to ask AMD to loan you an older CPU to update the bios. X570 boards will not need any bios updates.

I would look for a fractal design meshify. They have a lot of room inside, excelant airflow, and good cable management.
I would look for deals around Black Friday, but right now the prices on things like dram are rather low.

3700x is a very good CPU for both gaming and video editing. Infact when using adobe software the 3700x is sometimes as fast as the i9 9900k.

X470 motherboards may need a bios update prior to using a 3700x. If the board doesn't have this update, you will need to ask AMD to loan you an older CPU to update the bios. X570 boards will not need any bios updates.

I would look for a fractal design meshify. They have a lot of room inside, excelant airflow, and good cable management.

Solution

Hunchback

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012

According to this - https://i.redd.it/jns90zhx3o731.png - the MB should be fine with the PCU.
Wonder if it's trust-worthy tho

On a personally level just to avoid headaches, I would go X570....You may have no issues at all with the X470 but I would just feel safer knowing the X570 works straight out of the box especially as you are doing pretty much a near full upgrade.

Hunchback

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
On a personally level just to avoid headaches, I would go X570....You may have no issues at all with the X470 but I would just feel safer knowing the X570 works straight out of the box especially as you are doing pretty much a near full upgrade.

Could you recommend a decent MB that would fit ~100-150 euros budget?