Rate this budget build.

Andreas Mellis

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hello everyone, this is supposed to be a 550€ build, it kinda went over this amount but i guess that's okay. Any suggestions or improvements will be highly appreciated. :D

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€115.51)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€62.82)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€31.20)
Storage: Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€56.49)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 470 4GB STRIX Video Card (€255.65)
Power Supply: XFX TS 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€55.28)
Total: €576.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-31 17:27 CEST+0200

Custom prices have been set cause the prices from the German amazon didn't match the ones of my country. Also i do realise that an RX 480 or a 1060 would be a better choice but the both the 6GB 1060 and the 8GB 480 cost about 60€ more than the 470. My question is whether the 3GB 1060 will perform better than the 4GB 470.

NOTE: In the build i'm not including the OS, monitor, HDDs and the case because i already have some spare ones.

Solution
A very good and reasonable build.
A good rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cpu cost for the graphics card. You are spot on there.

Graphics card pricing is competitive. You can perhaps find a small differentiator by looking for benchmarks of YOUR games.

If you might want to upgrade in the future, you should buy a slightly stronger psu, perhaps in the 500-550w range. XFX is excellent.

And... many things want to go on the C drive. Consider a 240gb ssd up front.
RE: the suggestion for a single 8gb stick:
1. a single stick will operate in slower single channel mode.
2. Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor...
nice build.
According to every review, GTX 1060 3GB outperforms the RX 480 in most games. Exceptions are Hitman and Doom. even there, it's kinda not a big advantage.
So I'd get the non reference GTX 1060.
Small note, you have only two memory slots on this MB, would be better to get single 8GB stick and have an option to add another one later ;)

A very good and reasonable build.
A good rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cpu cost for the graphics card. You are spot on there.

Graphics card pricing is competitive. You can perhaps find a small differentiator by looking for benchmarks of YOUR games.

If you might want to upgrade in the future, you should buy a slightly stronger psu, perhaps in the 500-550w range. XFX is excellent.

And... many things want to go on the C drive. Consider a 240gb ssd up front.
RE: the suggestion for a single 8gb stick:
1. a single stick will operate in slower single channel mode.
2. Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
It is safer to get what you need in one kit.
But, it is a bit more expensive because of the added matching of all the sticks to insure compatibility.
8gb is fine unless you will be doing heavy multitasking.
If you might want 16gb, buy it all up front.

Solution

Yes and no.
While the upgradeability option is nice, anytime you mix and match sticks you risk the potential of them "not playing nice" with one another. Buying a pre-packaged kit is the only guarantee of compatibility between sticks.

Andreas Mellis

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

I see, so the 1060 should perform better. This change could potentially save a few €€ but the only problem is that i don't really know if the brands Zotac, Palit and Gainward are trustworthy since these are he cheapest ones. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to GPUs. :p

Andreas Mellis

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

Ok, thanks for the tips. :)