Rate Your Internet Service Providers (ISPs)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMike

Reputable
May 19, 2015
I fell bad for the people in the usa. Here in Europe (to be more precise Romania) 50 and 100mb/s are wide spread and in all big cites we have 1gb download and 200mb upload for about 13$ with taxes and real unlimited data, no throttling or worst cutting internet access once a ridiculously small data cap has been reached.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
My cost for monopoly TWC in central Ohio went from $57 to $77 per month. Speed generally 30/5mbps except for weekend evening high neighbors Netflix usage. Now visiting DC and its 20/20 speed (Verizon)., Unless you have both a higher speed DSL and a cable option for a little competition, as a consumer you are at the whims of the price regulators. Generally someone form TWC picks up the help questions promptly if you need a service ping/reset.

BTW survey didn't work and got stalled at like 3rd/4th page.

ngbeslhang

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Malaysian here. Most of us here are still suffering in DSL service and there's monopoly in the ISP market as well. We are constantly  stuck in 1-4Mbps and we paid between 110-140 MYR (and that exclude our GST tax which came out a few months ago), which I find it unjustifiable (not including the recent fall of our currency).

Meanwhile according to Ookla's now-closed netindex.com Singapore have the world's fastest speed (both streams) available. The minimum home internet package I have seen is 100Mbps (both streams) fiber for only probably 20/30+SGD and the highest they offer is god damn 1 GIGABIT/S (125 Megabyte per second I mind you) for only 80SGD with TV and phone service/50SGD for DIY package (with free (if I recall correctly) high-end modem like Linksys WRT1900AC) which is provided by SingTel.

I still have ideas for starting an online petition to force our monopoly ISP, Telekom Malaysia (You guessed it, Malaysia Telecom/Telecom Malaysia depends on how do you want to call it), to lower their package price and increase their provided speed for a percentage (e.g. keep the current speed but lower the price by 75%) OR lower the Megabit per price (FYI Megabit and Megabyte are different, as 8 bits = 1 byte you can divide your ISP's provided speed by 8 to get the theorical speed you will get when downloading (as most programs will set the unit to byte per second instead of bit, Steam is an example, but some will use bit per second instead)).

In fact, if you want to see it I actually did some research here (albeit incomplete and not enough details):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eIjCrmycfDo735HMPHfW_FO9cHFl2xgfMm_Siye28BI/edit?usp=docslist_api (Malaysia)
 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p7c0RsvYW4gihW8IpBuds3d3Zj29UvFLB5PvGk6AWpg/edit?usp=docslist_api (Singapore)

Blytz

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
Australian here...

Just got upgraded to adsl2 (stuck on adsl1 for a decade)

We're waiting for our idiot government to roll out a second rate vdsl2 NBN (National Broadband Network) so we'll get to upgrade to speeds you guys have mostly already left behind. And shell out billions for it too.

I'm sad to admit that good adsl2 speeds in this country still amount to a decent level of service. I get near perfect sync so 24mbit down and around 850kbit up. Unlimited for 80 a month (not exactly a cheap service - but it's good value for money here)

If only our previous government had kept out mostly fibre rollout going, it'd be something to be happy about. They were offering 100/40 top tier speed (and 1000/400 was right around the corner)

Oh well, the waiting game continues

Kewlx25

Distinguished

$20 20/20
$35 70/70
$45 100/100
$100 250/250
$250 500/500
$300 1gb/1gb

All dedicated guaranteed bandwidth.

G

Dear Derek Forrest,

Please note, a new ISP serving Starbucks customers (not google, the WiFi SSID is simply "Starbucks WiFi") that I frequently use to accsess your website does not have the correct DNS entry to access your site. Nine times out of ten, I get an error,Invalid URL, trying to access your website from my regular Chrome shortcut that works everywhere else. I have used the following variations of your http address:
http://www.tomshardware.com
https://www.tomshardware.com
www.tomshardware.com
Google search: Toms Hardware and choosing one of the options (including individual sub-pages).

Thank you,
David Girgis

TehGuard

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
TWC is the best of few options I have where I live and their "high speed" 20mbps cant even watch 720p sometimes due to throttling because they can get away with it. Still leagues ahead of the netzero I had 4 years ago but still................

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Do you have some example of some incorrect IP addresses?

Jerahmia Wood

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Im still stuck @ 3Megabit speeds, and 12Megabit is the highest available here... and the 12Megabit is expensive, 100Megabit, yeah right.

But its very reliable and the pricing is right for whats avaliable.

G

No, I do believe that http://www.tomshardware.com should point to the public IP address 184.28.188.130, and that the ISP normally hosts two DNS servers matching the name to the IP.
Is there a specific command line that I can run the next time I'm at that same location, that will help narrow down the problem?

DavidH92

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
In Las Vegas CenturyLink already offers gigabit internet in certain neighborhoods
Cox will bring Gigabit next year.
I pay $99.99 per month for 150mb down and 25 up

Kewlx25

Distinguished

You can use nslookup

> www.tomsnetwork.com
Server: [192.168.1.1]
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: tomsnetwork.com
Address: 107.180.26.68
Aliases: www.tomsnetwork.com

5 14 ms 14 ms 16 ms te-9-4.car4.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.71.102.197]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 154 ms 156 ms 280 ms 4.15.44.66
8 208 ms 216 ms 216 ms akamai-bundle-ethernet11.br03.lax05.pccwbtn.net[63.218.212.82]
9 205 ms 200 ms 197 ms a184-28-188-130.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [184.28.188.130]

Looks like 184.28.188.130 is in Hong Kong. If you're not from that area, you're getting the wrong IP.

f-14

Distinguished
i call b.s. on this:
[For example, DSL service is a dedicated line and will therefore not be subject to bandwidth loss caused by "peak times" like its shared-connection cable counterpart. However, cable is inherently faster, and DSL speeds can also degrade as the distance between you and the target central office increases.]
obviously nobody has checked into rural dsl companies like fronteir or windstream
1) the networks constantly get expanded and oversold causing speed provisioning
2) electrical storms greatly affect these networks and their speed and response
3) like cable companies when every one jumps on at the same time especially for netflix or popcorn time it shows as the network bogs way down and becomes sluggish as the central box becomes over provisioned

my experience having used dsl from those companies and qwest and at&t has been even on cables worst days, they smoke dsl on it's best days.
1940's alexander graham bell (Ma') Bell Telephone wires just aren't cutting it these days as they are subject to alot of ground leakage when it rains and a considerable amount of cross talk and bleeding at the junctions and in the network boxes and these lines are just bell wire not even twisted or shielded.
http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/q400e.jpg

CaptainSiscold

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Why.....

$80 a month for 1 megabit down, maybe 0.2Mb up....Only other ISP in the area is satellite with ping times of over 1000 and about 0.3 -0.5Mb down and 0.1Mb up.....

ibticktock

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Wavebroadband. 55 down, 2 up with a promo deal of $45 which includes a charge for the separate modem and router. Normally $60. There is a 100 down plan for $80 or so. While I don't like the costs compared to some places I do give the company two thumbs up for excellent 24/7 service which always answers the phone and gets right to the problem. They have also been quick to roll out ever faster speeds. Not that many years ago I was getting 5 down for $40. And I still remember back in the 90s with AOL when half the time you couldn't even get online because they were oversubscribed.

G

I'm not from Hong Kong. I am from San Dimas, CA. I will try 'nslookup' the next time I'm there. I'm not sure what 'tomsnetwork' is. I think I should be trying 'www.tomshardware.com'. Below are the results I get from home (works fine here):

Default Server: Wireless_Broadband_Router.home

> www.tomsnetwork.com
Server: Wireless_Broadband_Router.home

Name: tomsnetwork.com
Address: 107.180.26.68
Aliases: www.tomsnetwork.com

> www.tomshardware.com
Server: Wireless_Broadband_Router.home

Name: a1768.w7.akamai.net
Addresses: 65.200.22.107
Aliases: www.tomshardware.com
rma.bestofmedia.com.edgesuite.net

>>>>>>UPDATE>>>>>>
Default Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

> www.tomshardware.com
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Name: a1768.w7.akamai.net
Addresses: 23.61.194.250
Aliases: www.tomshardware.com
rma.bestofmedia.com.edgesuite.net

I can confirm that it is working, for now. -David

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
This all proves that internet needs to improve. Cox in the midwest makes 100% profit off their internet service, they only pay for their cable tv contracts. Whenever roadwork is done in my city, they lay new fiber. I feel like Cox could have set up cheap fiber years ago!
This all proves that internet needs to improve. Cox in the midwest makes 100% profit off their internet service, they only pay for their cable tv contracts. Whenever roadwork is done in my city, they lay new fiber. I feel like Cox could have set up cheap fiber years ago!

And where do you get that dumb idea at?

Status
Not open for further replies.