[SOLVED] Rated RAM Speed Causes Boot Problem

Sep 24, 2021
I'm having trouble getting my RAM to run at it's rated speed. Whenever I attempt to change the RAM speed in the bios to match what the RAM is rated for, or to anything higher than the default speed really, Windows won't boot. I get a screen that says

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart the computer.
  2. Choose your language settings and then click "Next".
  3. Click "Repair your computer".
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed."

When I change the RAM speed back to default, Windows boots just fine as if nothing happened.

My build:

Asus TUF Gaming X570+ wifi motherboard

Ryzen 5 5600X

MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Aero ITX 8GB

Two kits Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 MHz (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V Desktop Memory - Black

Boot disc Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 3d NAND Internal Solid State Drive

Storage disc Crucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD

Can y'all please help me figure out how to solve this problem so I can run my RAM at the speed it's rated for?

Solution
Under "Advanced\NVMe controller and Drive information" the option for "NVMe Configuration" is grayed out and will not allow me to enter when I click on it.

Where do I find that information? Google was not helpful.
03VMtrsfx0TcmfKGhWEGNqj-10.fit_lim.size_960x.jpg

it might not be etirely same as different bios versions can make UI changes and move things around, but if its hidden (under some auto tune settings) on right side its under hardware monitor, your mobo calls it BCLK Frequency
Sep 24, 2021
Did you perform a CMOS reset, after the bios update? The last Asus board, that I had, Z270 itx, wouldn't boot properly after a bios update, until I cleared the cmos.
I haven't tried that, but Windows will boot just fine when I reset the RAM speed back to default. Could the CMOS still be a potential issue in this case?

logainofhades

Titan
CMOS reset can fix all kinds of weird issues. I had one years ago, where my graphics card would only work with the VGA port, and not on DVI. As a last resort, I tried the reset, and it fixed it. It may or may not work, but at least it's a free thing to try.

Sep 24, 2021
I double checked to make sure my bios version was up to date, and cleared the CMOS. That hasn't helped. I had also heard overclocking the CPU first would help it somehow, so I tried that by applying the ASUS optimal boost in the bios, restarting, then applying D.O.C.P. for the RAM, and that didn't help.

Try switching NVME drive into PCIE 3.0 operating mode.
How do I do that? I couldn't find the info via Google.

Sep 24, 2021
Check BIOS for available options.
Probably under Advanced/NVME configuration.
Under "Advanced\NVMe controller and Drive information" the option for "NVMe Configuration" is grayed out and will not allow me to enter when I click on it.

issue you getting is your loosing your nvme drive once you touch RAM speeds?
check FSB if it stays at 100MHz, nvme doesnt like if you go too much above that

it might not be etirely same as different bios versions can make UI changes and move things around, but if its hidden (under some auto tune settings) on right side its under hardware monitor, your mobo calls it BCLK Frequency

Solution
Sep 24, 2021

Thank you. I found that menu. It allowed me to change BCLK frequency to 118, but when applying the D.O.C.P. memory over clock, it still continues to give me the same error and won't boot Windows.

Sep 24, 2021
I believe I've figured out the problem. While looking at other, similar threads I came across one where the best answer said the 5800x had a max memory speed of 3200. Reading that, I did some quick digging and found that the 5600x also only supports a max memory speed of 3200. I also found that my mother board, while supporting speeds of 3400, 3466, and 4000, it does not support 3600 for Zen 3 processors.

I tested this by attempting to run the memory at 3466, then at 3400. Both attempts failed to even post. I changed the speed to 3200, and sure enough windows booted just fine.

So there it is. It turns out I bought faster memory than I can actually use at the present time.

I believe I've figured out the problem. While looking at other, similar threads I came across one where the best answer said the 5800x had a max memory speed of 3200. Reading that, I did some quick digging and found that the 5600x also only supports a max memory speed of 3200. I also found that my mother board, while supporting speeds of 3400, 3466, and 4000, it does not support 3600 for Zen 3 processors.

I tested this by attempting to run the memory at 3466, then at 3400. Both attempts failed to even post. I changed the speed to 3200, and sure enough windows booted just fine.

So there it is. It turns out I bought faster memory than I can actually use at the present time.
3200mhz for ryzen 5000 is supported speed, thats without overclock
its not limit of your cpu/mainboard
going above supported speed is overclocking and that can bring some compatibility issues
here is QVL list for your mainboard paired with ryzen 5000, as you can see at botom, max tested speed (working) with XMP profile is 4800MHz
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...MD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570_0423.pdf

if your sticks cant be overclocked, well bad luck or low ram overclock experience

Sep 24, 2021
3200mhz for ryzen 5000 is supported speed, thats without overclock
its not limit of your cpu/mainboard
going above supported speed is overclocking and that can bring some compatibility issues
here is QVL list for your mainboard paired with ryzen 5000, as you can see at botom, max tested speed (working) with XMP profile is 4800MHz
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...MD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570_0423.pdf

if your sticks cant be overclocked, well bad luck or low ram overclock experience
To be perfectly honest, considering the number of things Ive tried to get the memory to work at 3600 that failed, and how much money I paid for this system, I'm content to leave it at 3200. It's running, it's stable, and it's a performance boost over the default setting. That's good enough for me at the moment.