[SOLVED] Rattling fan

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Hello guys, i have one problem. Everytime when i turn on my pc after long time(like 8hours) one of my case fans is rattling for first 5 minutes after turning on pc. After 5 minutes it stop and works normally. btw my temps are normal, CPU max 70C(usually around 63) ingame and GPU 70C too.

thanks for any help.

Solution
You cannot actually get to the fan bearings in a modern fan, so you cannot lube it. What you see may be the end of the shaft under the label, but it is not the bearings.

What you describe is exactly what worn bearings on a fan do. Even if you could add lube, that would be only a temporary help. Replace the fan - it's much easier. BEFORE you do, try to identify which fan. Open the case and get a pencil. With the system cold (so it's noisy) but running, reach in carefully and use the pencil eraser to slow down and stop each fan, one at a time, then release it. You will find the bad fan that way. IF it is the fan on your CPU cooler, you need a replacement designed for "high pressure" in that position. If it is a case eventilation fan, you...
Hello guys, i have one problem. Everytime when i turn on my pc after long time(like 8hours) one of my case fans is rattling for first 5 minutes after turning on pc. After 5 minutes it stop and works normally. btw my temps are normal, CPU max 70C(usually around 63) ingame and GPU 70C too.

thanks for any help.
Sounds like fan bearing has a problem, dry or worn out. Change it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You cannot actually get to the fan bearings in a modern fan, so you cannot lube it. What you see may be the end of the shaft under the label, but it is not the bearings.

What you describe is exactly what worn bearings on a fan do. Even if you could add lube, that would be only a temporary help. Replace the fan - it's much easier. BEFORE you do, try to identify which fan. Open the case and get a pencil. With the system cold (so it's noisy) but running, reach in carefully and use the pencil eraser to slow down and stop each fan, one at a time, then release it. You will find the bad fan that way. IF it is the fan on your CPU cooler, you need a replacement designed for "high pressure" in that position. If it is a case eventilation fan, you do not need "high pressure"; instead you need one designed for good "Air Flow".

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

Latest posts