[SOLVED] Rattling noise coming from power supply.

invinci

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
From last week I'm hearing loud rattling noise from my power supply Corsair CX550 which I bought around 2 years back. I checked all other parts and came to conclusion that its the power supply cause I have a spare power supply which is also from same brand Corsair CX430V2 which is working exceptionally well from last 10 years at least. There's no noise after using my old power supply so, I think its my new power supply. The rattling noise comes only under heavy load on pc like when I open too much tabs on my browser or doing some mild video editing. Power supply is still under warranty. What could be the issue? Is power supply going bad? Would appreciate some assistance. Thanks.

Video link for the reference.

View: https://i.imgur.com/2n1Kg1W.mp4

Solution
Yeah, I was thinking a loose wire inside the PSU myself.
Anyways, Darkbreeze is right, it doesn't matter, who care - it's under warranty, send it in. :sweatsmile:
This.

And for the record, the CX430 was a very problematic unit, much like the CX600, IIRC. The CX550 should be somewhat better platform and quality than that CX430. It's likely the system you used that unit in simply didn't use anywhere near that amount of power draw or you were just lucky and got a unit that just didn't have problems.
Honestly, it doesn't even matter what the noise IS, so long as you are sure it's coming from the power supply, if it's under warranty.

RMA the unit. There shouldn't be ANY kind of abnormal noises, no matter what it is, so that is a warrantable failure, or at least it should be. My guess is maybe a failing fan bearing, since that is really the only moving part in the power supply that could be guilty of making noises like that.

Reactions: invinci

invinci

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
That sounds like the fan to me, possibly something like a wire hitting the fan blade.

Stick something non-conductive thru the grill to stop the fan and see if the noise goes away. Like a Bic pen cap.

It looks like fan to me as well. Here's another video of me giving it slight bump. It rattled just like the noise in the video. There's no wire or any object coming in between the fan. My PC case has a dust filter underneath the power supply fan grill. So, I can confirm there's no cable or anything coming in between the fan apart from usual fine dust around the fan.

Honestly, it doesn't even matter what the noise IS, so long as you are sure it's coming from the power supply, if it's under warranty.

RMA the unit. There shouldn't be ANY kind of abnormal noises, no matter what it is, so that is a warrantable failure, or at least it should be. My guess is maybe a failing fan bearing, since that is really the only moving part in the power supply that could be guilty of making noises like that.

I have uploaded a new video. This time even with slight bump, I can hear the same noise. I agree with you. Its most definitely the fan which is causing this issue.

My old Corsair CX430V2 is working flawlessly from last 10 years and based on that power supply's performance, I bought new Corsair CX550 but looks like it the quality has gone down. I'm thinking about RMAing it but Covid restrictions and lockdown has completely halted most of the process in my state in India. So, I wanted to be absolute sure before thinking about RMAing it cause its gonna take longer than usual time and they can't even confirm the time period. But let's hope for the best.

Thanks for helping out. You people are awesome.

View: https://i.imgur.com/6itTgK1.mp4

Yeah, I was thinking a loose wire inside the PSU myself.
Anyways, Darkbreeze is right, it doesn't matter, who care - it's under warranty, send it in. :sweatsmile:
This.

And for the record, the CX430 was a very problematic unit, much like the CX600, IIRC. The CX550 should be somewhat better platform and quality than that CX430. It's likely the system you used that unit in simply didn't use anywhere near that amount of power draw or you were just lucky and got a unit that just didn't have problems.

Solution