CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo V2 62 CFM
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGM Pro SL 32gb (16x2) DDR-3600
HDD: WDBlack 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM
SSD: Crucial P1 1TB m.2-2280 NVME SSD
GPUL: EVGA GeForce 3060TI 8GB FTW2 Ultra Gaming
CASE: Lian Li LANCOOL II-W ATX Mid tower
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 750W 80+ gold certified

Upon turning it on red lights would flash on the GPU (I'm guessing not adequate power), at the same time lights below the GPU on the motherboard would flash green AND blue.
I later observed the Debug LEDs and the CPU light would blink indicating CPU was unable to be detected.
Each time I attempted to power on via power button there would be an audible "TOCK" sound that would go off and following that all the lights that did turn on would all turn off as well.

At first I thought the CPU issue was the 5600X not being supported by the B550 Tomahawk so I attempted a BIOS Flash, when attempting the BIOS flash I noticed the same thing would happen in that when I held the button down to perform the BIOS flash, the light would appear just below the flash button and on the mobo but the audible TOCK would go off and both lights would cease to blink immediately.

After attempting the BIOS Flash I tried to power the system again, this time on top of existing lights flashing and audible tock the fans would also attempt to spin up and move as well as the front case RGB would light up a bit.

I'm currently stumped between whether its a PSU or a Mobo problem and potentially CPU

Example of what happens on pressing power button:
When I try to start

Suggestions I got:
  • PSU of 750W isn't enough
  • When attempting a BIOS Flash unplug everything but Mobo
  • Ram is in incorrect slots
  • Booting without GPU

What do the experts think?
Much appreciated for any/all help and suggestions!

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, can you mention the BIOS version for your motherboard? As for the PSU, that unit should have plenty of juice for the entire platform, plus an overclock. You could try and source a donor PSU with the same wattage and made by a reputable company(reliably built) and see if the issue crops up again. Also, does the click/tock sound come from the PSU?

You might be suffering from a grounding issue as well. Try disconnecting the system from the wall and the display and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Reconnect to the wall and see if the issue is alleviated.

Lutfij

Titan

For the sake of relevance, can you mention the BIOS version for your motherboard? As for the PSU, that unit should have plenty of juice for the entire platform, plus an overclock. You could try and source a donor PSU with the same wattage and made by a reputable company(reliably built) and see if the issue crops up again. Also, does the click/tock sound come from the PSU?

You might be suffering from a grounding issue as well. Try disconnecting the system from the wall and the display and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Reconnect to the wall and see if the issue is alleviated.

Reactions: XolSanctum
Solution
Nov 7, 2021

Thanks for the welcome!
Unfortunately I am unsure of the BIOS version, it was basically a new part out of the box and I couldn't identify it/unsure how I would be able to do so.
As for the sound this I am also unsure of