Raven Ridge Unboxed: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, Ryzen 3 2200G First Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghettogamer

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
Vega isnt as exciting as it used to be a year ago, i hope this isnt underwhelming as I would like to recommend this chip to friends who like to try out cheap AIO mini-itx e sports pc gaming.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
The Wraith should be more than enough. I've seen people use it on the much hotter FX6000(can't remember which) to OC somewhere at 4,5 iirc. The FX were already rated 125watt, right out of the box. The OC probably push it to near 150watts level. Yet, somehow the Wraith sustain it at 80C tops. Even doing full speed most of the time, it still heard as a mere whisper. In fact, the Seasonic's fan he used were louder and more audible than the Wraith.

That said, I wanted this APU happened 3 months ago. I've already purchased 3 sets of G4400 + GT1030 + 2x2gb DDR4 + the cheapest h110 I could found which happens to be a foxconn's for my cyber cafe. fml

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
It performs just fine for eSports titles (at least as far as the 2400G.)

https://wccftech.com/amd-raven-ridge-ryzen-apu-vega-gpu-graphics-performance/

Keep in mind those are stock values and the GPU is reported to OC pretty substantially. And as always with APU's, pairing with really fast RAM helps considerably. Pretty nice these have native support for 2933.

bmoc.ski

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
Interested to know what's resoultion are supported by the HDMI.
Motherboards with DP are not that numerous (though you have one in the story) so would like to know can 4k at 60hz be surpported from the JFMI? What about 2k dual screen, via HDMI and DVI?

InvalidError

Titan

Only if you're happy with GPU performance somewhere between an RX550 and RX560. IGPs won't be competing with mid-range GPUs (the future equivalent of the RX570-580 and 1050-1060) until they get HBM and due to how that might fudge up the CPU package symmetry, it may require a new socket.

If you're betting on IGPs saving mainstream gamers from inflated GPU prices, it probably won't happen until AM5 in 2020-21.

ghettogamer

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

considering the price of gpus these days probably,, imagine instead of buying a ryzen 3 + a rx 560, youll get both with just a cost of a single cpu , the plat form is future proof and you can upgrade ur gpu later as well. its a winning solution for budget gamers amidst these tough times.

bmoc.ski

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
Interested to know what's resoultion are supported by the HDMI.
Motherboards with DP are not that numerous (though you have one in the story) so would like to know can 4k at 60hz be surpported? What about 2k dual screen, HDMI and DVI?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The texture on the heatspreader is obviously intentional. Is the idea then to increase surface area, in order to improve efficiency of transmission of heat from the IHS to the thermal compound?

BTW, a well-lapped IHS and heatsink will generate enough suction that you can pick up the CPU with the heatsink, even when no thermal compound has been applied.

InvalidError

Titan

Even Intel's modern IGPs can do 4k so AMD would shoot itself in the foot if its newer IGPs didn't do at least that much. You don't need much processing power to do 4k on the desktop, only ~2GB/s of memory bandwidth to refresh the screen at 60Hz.

Since even the best thermal pastes are still 4-5X worse than metal-to-metal contact, increasing surface area between the IHS and paste does you absolutely no good. The seemingly unfinished surface may simply be the IHS being die-cast and the external face left in its rough form. Since the IHS is fairly thick, achieving the highest possible thermal transfer through the IHS directly on top of the die is non-critical and the larger effective contact patch compensates for the rough finish.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

So, you're saying the rough finish is actually due to cost savings, rather than being an intentional design feature?

InvalidError

Titan

Having to machine only the side that makes contact with the die means not needing to flip the IHS to process the outside face, no time, no power and no cutting tools spent machining it either. If the surface finish directly from the casting or punch die is good enough for the application, it makes sense to skip machining it to save cost.

If AMD was really worried about Ryzen cooling, the IHS wouldn't be concave - the worst possible shape if you want to optimize heat transfer near the middle as it increases paste layer thickness where you want the least of it possible.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I had a Phenom II with an IHS that seemed slightly concave, as I checked it against a razor blade. Are you saying this is intentional? Why?

InvalidError

Titan

More like a side-effect of the manufacturing process than 'intentional' as getting exact dimensions from die-cast and die-punched parts is nearly impossible due to variations in material properties, heating/cooling rate and a host of other process variables, which is why these processes are used to produce blanks which are then machined down to precise dimensions where necessary. If blank surfaces are good enough for an application as-is, it makes no sense to bother machining it.

There aren't many people doing same-to-same experiments with factory vs lapped IHS and what few I have seen only show a ~2C improvement. Not worth increasing the machining and tooling cost by 50+% for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS