Raven Ridge vs Summit Ridge

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Why do you suppose AMD decided to cripple the PCIe buss to 8 lanes on the Raven Ridge chip? So it wouldn't be competition for the Summit Ridge processor? Does it matter? Seems like the 2200G would be the ideal budget CPU @ under $100 otherwise. The iGPU can run games while the budget gamer saves for a gfx card.

How far up the gfx card food chain do you suppose one could go w/o the 8 lanes @ PCIe 3.0 crippling performance? I'm thinking 8 lanes at PCIe 3.0 is about equal to 16 lanes @ PCIe 2.0. Maybe RX-580/GTX 1060?

Solution
For sure it would. I believe the AMD's intention for cutting the pci-e lanes down to 8 on the 2200G and 2400G is more for market segmentation with a little nod towards cost cutting. Like these processors aren't intended for a crossfire or sli setup. granted I wouldn't want to run crossfire or sli on a ryzen 3 1300 either. With AMD's decision to use the zeppelin die across markets, it allowed them to increase yields by re-using dies that had core defects in lower end SKU's even if all the features didn't quite make sense (pci-e 3.0 16x on an r3 1300 for example)

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
For sure it would. I believe the AMD's intention for cutting the pci-e lanes down to 8 on the 2200G and 2400G is more for market segmentation with a little nod towards cost cutting. Like these processors aren't intended for a crossfire or sli setup. granted I wouldn't want to run crossfire or sli on a ryzen 3 1300 either. With AMD's decision to use the zeppelin die across markets, it allowed them to increase yields by re-using dies that had core defects in lower end SKU's even if all the features didn't quite make sense (pci-e 3.0 16x on an r3 1300 for example)

Solution