Raven RV05 Brings Back 90-Degree Offset Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very happy they're going back to the rotated mboard. And this is the way you should do cases with no external bays. Simply drop the space and make them smaller, lighter, without compromising airflow. I'm just wondering where the PSU gets mounted.

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
They seem to keep making these cheaper and cheaper in build quality, aside from the excellent FT02 and FT03. I have an RV02, and on appearance alone I would not get this one.

@RedJaron - The power supply gets mounted at the top-back of the case, mounted vertically. It pulls in air from the back (where you see the mesh in the back of the case), and exhausts it from the top.

Hmmm, at first I wasn't so sure. On older Ravens, that's just been a normal 120mm fan slot. But after browsing the extra pictures on Silverstone's site, that vent is labeled an independent PSU intake, so there you have it. So out of curiosity I took a picture from SS' site and my RV03 and worked a little mockup.
rv05b-right-inside.jpg
6792876978_4f142dcb46.jpg

After scaling the mboard and PSU appropriately ( using the AP-181 in each case as reference, ) and lining the mboard up with the standoff holes in the RV05, you'd get something like this ( I know the PSU would be rotated with the exhaust up, but it's the same thickness in the picture. )

14490041144_9ef6ba676c_o.png

It's tight spacing between the mboard and PSU, but it works ( I think the PSU might even fit further back, making a more comfortable gap. )

So basically, they took a RV03, dropped it from eight slots to seven, and chopped off the 5.25" stack on the right. The slim ODD slot is effectively behind the mboard tray, in the same spot I've got my extra PSU cables coiled ( can't see that in my shot. The result drops the case from 12.5 kg to 7.6 kg, or nearly in half. Not bad.

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Lol sorry I messed with the formatting of that last comment and it did not come out the way I wanted. My response is the second Quote.

They only get loud when you have them on high ( and even then they're no so bad as many other case fans. ) Keep them on low and you have just a low thrum. My internals never go above 60* in my Raven 3 with low fans so I have no reason to speed them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.