RAW File System?

jossman

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hi

I have recently encountered a major problem regarding 4 year old Western Digital MyBook. Whilst backing up data my PC (vista) froze, and the HDD@ has since stopped working.

My initial plan to solve this was by running CHKDSK led me to believe the HDD has developed a RAW file system. I have since used Knoppix, TestDisk and various trial versions of software, with no success.

However (!), when plugging the drive into a Win7 computer, the My computer window initially shows the drive, as NTFS with the correct amount of files and free space. However, when I open the drive, I am prompted to scan and correct for errors and all the folders below the root are empty. The free space details then disappear from the drive and it is no longer accessible until restarting the drive. Any third-party software that tries to read the drive tends to freeze until the drive is unplugged.

I have several 10Gig VHS master videos I would be particularly keen in rescuing!

Could anyone please suggest a possible remedy?

Regards,
Scott

Mimoso

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
There are some things you can try.
Get the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally. That would rule out a damaged USB board. Try to get the SMART data from the drive. This will most likely tell you if the drive is physically damaged.

If you copied the videos from another drive and deleted them try running recovery software on that drive.

jossman

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Dear Mimoso,

Thank you for your reply. I am afraid I do not have access to a desktop to connect it internally. I also get the same result using the Firewire port.

Regards

jossman

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I have checked the Western Digital diagnostics program. The preliminary tests fail me on the basis of a Reallocated sector count. I also get the following error during the tests regarding a 'cable error' although the cable works file:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD5000KS-00MNB0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMANU1621837
Firmware Number: 07.02E07
Capacity: 500.11 GB
SMART Status: FAIL
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 11-Cable Test::Read diagnostics sector error!
Test Time: 17:19:38, March 02, 2010

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD5000KS-00MNB0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMANU1621837
Firmware Number: 07.02E07
Capacity: 500.11 GB
SMART Status: FAIL
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 11-Cable Test::Read diagnostics sector error!
Test Time: 17:21:55, March 02, 2010