Question RAW .ICO and .CUR files after corrupt USB flash drive

Apr 4, 2019
Dear community,

Recently my USB flash drive was damaged when I plugged it in.
Since then it shows the following message:
"You need to format the disk in drive L: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?"

I've searched for some software to recover my data, and I've tried many of those.
Now when the program does its job, it can find some files, but not the files I was expected to retrieve.

On my USB flash drive were many .xlsx, .docx, and .pdf files, yet I can't find ANY of them.
All I can find are .ico (icon) and .cur (cursor) files.
These files seem to be completely useless..

Do you know how I can recover my original files, or is all lost forever?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Tom

popatim

Titan
Have you tried Recuva in deep scan mode?
I'm not holding high hopes for any success but it's worth a try.

And then you can examine your work process and look for where making a backup can be inserted. Any important files need to be backed up onto a different device. The more backs you have of a file, the safer it is from being lost.

Apr 4, 2019
Have you tried Recuva in deep scan mode?
I'm not holding high hopes for any success but it's worth a try.

And then you can examine your work process and look for where making a backup can be inserted. Any important files need to be backed up onto a different device. The more backs you have of a file, the safer it is from being lost.

Hi popatim,

I've not tried that software before, but I've used EaseUS Data Recovery and iCare Data Recovery. Yet these two deep scans result in the same files being found.
I will try Recuva and see if there's any difference in files.
Although, I'm not holding any high hopes for it, since it's not the original file that's found, but only .ico and .cur files.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS