Ray Tracing possible with GT300?

tastelikecrab

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
http://thepriorart.wordpress.com/2009/08/05/nvidia-optix-ray-tracing-engine-unveiled-at-siggraph-200/

article on ray tracing, advantage of hexacore processors and whether its possible with GT300

what do you guys think?

Well i havent read the article yet but unless there has been a huge break through recently then real time ray tracing at anywhere near fast enough speeds for gaming isnt going to happen yet.

Mactronix

tastelikecrab

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
yep. thats not brilliant performance esp on that powerful workstation hardware. but as stated in the article, its possible there will be algorithms using extra CPU cores in addition to GPU power. the next generation CPUS are going to be mostly 4C/8T so thats quite a bit of computer power that is going unused in games.

Doubt we'll see ray-tracing anytime soon. Tracing secondary rays is simply too heavy a task for current components, and as far as I'm concerned, rasterization is still fine. Heck, I remember in the late 90's when people wanted Ray Tracing because soft shadows were impossible to do...

I could care less; tracing secondary rays for every part of every object (essentially, every pixel) is simply too computationally complex, especially for a X86 CPU, which does not do nearly as well with parallel tasks.

We have no where near the processing power that real time ray tracing requires. Besides, Rasterization is fine.