Question Razer 7.1 surround software closes on opening ?

Josephking79

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Hi all
Apologies in advance if this isn't the right section. Very quickly though, I have a problem and I know it's not a hardware issue, even though in hindsight, I should have re-considered my purchase of the Razer Kraken x lite....not a fan of it really.

Anyways, long story short, I purchased this headset about 6 months ago, installed the 7.1 software for it, registered and played with it for a while, deciding to go back to my Plantronics/poly Rig 500 (far better in my opinion) and keeping the Kraken for a backup in case my Rig 500 broke etc.

Turns out now that I do reluctantly need to use the Kraken. However, the 7.1 software that I installed originally, which was working fine, is now no longer working. I have updated, uninstalled reinstalled, admin mode starting etc etc, all the suggestions I've tried. Once I click the program, it's like it starts momentarily, appears in the bottom right system tray quickly, then dissapears, it's not even running in the task manager.
None of my other programs do this and I've never had this problem with any apps I've used.

Has anyone got an idea why this might be happening?
Thanks for any clues
Joe
* Edit
Just a link to the video of what seems to be happening.
View: https://youtu.be/WnbW0JqzIp4

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that can be associated with the 7.1 software failing to launch,

Start with Reliability History. The timeline format may reveal some pattern. Event Viewer is a bit more complicated to use and understand. There is no need to rush so take the time to learn how to navigate about and understand the information being provided.

Where/what was the source of the 7.1 software? Did you manually download it or use some third party installer utility or tool. If so, try again via your own manual download, reinstall, and reconfiguration.

Josephking79

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that can be associated with the 7.1 software failing to launch,

Start with Reliability History. The timeline format may reveal some pattern. Event Viewer is a bit more complicated to use and understand. There is no need to rush so take the time to learn how to navigate about and understand the information being provided.

Where/what was the source of the 7.1 software? Did you manually download it or use some third party installer utility or tool. If so, try again via your own manual download, reinstall, and reconfiguration.
Ok, I'll start with that, will be taking my time with it as you suggested. Source of the 7.1 software was from the Razer site, the headset I purchased came with 7.1 surround software to download. I'll do a little digging into your suggestion. Thanks a heap!

D

Deleted member 14196

Just so you know, Razer software is some of the worst in the industry. I never install it with their equipment because this is what it does to you

good luck

Reactions: Josephking79

Josephking79

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah I've spend nearly three days trying to figure out why this software isn't "doing the thing" anymore, tinkered so much but nothing. It's definitely not the hardware and on my other pc it seems to work fine with the 7.1 and spatial. Looks like I'll just end up using this with Dolby atmos, though I'm hot happy with the "tinny" and muffled sound of the Kraken x. I still have my Rig 500, which in my opinion is far superior, though I need to replace the cable somehow, possibly snapped beneath the plastic sheathing, not surprised after 3 years of use.

D

Deleted member 14196

Something probably changed on the host regarding your windows configuration. Were any updates applied or any new software installed or any software uninstalled?

Josephking79

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Something probably changed on the host regarding your windows configuration. Were any updates applied or any new software installed or any software uninstalled?
Most likely several times since. I've managed to get the issue going up the chain from a ticket I raised at Razer. Here's hoping I can figure this out. Tbh, it's probably not even me worth worrying about now but it's more of a " I paid for the software, i demand satisfaction" type thing. Overall, I'm not impressed with the headset or any Razer headsets I've tried, however when i was using that 7.1 software (when it worked), it wasn't half bad. I think for now I might end up looking around at some other headsets, maybe another Rig500 and use the Dolby atmos software.