Razer Announces New Razer Blade Gaming Laptops Rocking Nvidia GTX 970M GPU, QHD+ Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
If they are going to copy the Macbook design (cudos by the way, it isn't cheap), they should also get rid of that perforated mesh for speaker grilles and use the full-blown micro-holes in solid aluminum of the body approach. It would look a lot sleeker.

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I wouldn't personally buy a Razer product again after having a bad experience with Synapse in the past. Though I did like the DeathAdder prior to Synapse.

frelled

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Specs still aren't enough to drive that display resolution. I would just stick to the 1080p screen, especially in this form factor, just to maintain good performance.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Sure, because I want to pay $2K+ to game on a 14 in screen. Or make extra room on my desk to have this thing open to use, but using video out to a normal gaming monitor. Or use it on my lap (it is a 'laptop', right?) on a plane/bus/train to game on the trackpad. (/sarcasm).

Who buys these things, and how do they actually get used???

Christopher Ellis

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Not the first 14" with a 970M...

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5325#kf

I've been eyeballing the Gigabyte for a while now due to it's cheaper price over the Razer. The Gigabyte allows for expandable memory, HDD, SSD, with nearly identical hardware everywhere else. Gigabyte's model also uses HDMI 2.0, RJ45, and D-Sub.

The p34Wv3-cf2 retails for $1699 vs Razer at $1999 (for the 1080p model). As an Engineering student who constantly stresses my current PC with simulation software I needed something powerful and portable. Ended up going with the Razer for the smaller body, solid aluminum construction and larger battery. We'll see how that pans out.

Vlad Razvan

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Why the GTX 970m? Why not the 980m? Thermals and power usage are not that far off between the two, and the 980m performs significantly better all-round.

Eggz

Distinguished

The 980m is too much of a power hungry heat generator for that form factor. You'd need a bigger laptop to cool it well. As it is, the 970m gets pretty warm and sucks down a good deal of power. But still, the 970m is roughly (though not quite) as powerful as the GTX 770 - the desktop version. That's a 250 watt card, and the 970m keeps BOTH the CPU and GPU at around 100 watts combined. Pretty impressive!

LOLz!

I'd run it at 1600x900 to avoid interpolation, and it would still look decent on a 14in screen. The 970m would chew up anything maxed out completely at that resolution, and it would still look like a native resolution. The non-retina MacBooks actually run an even lower resolution of 1280x800, and those screens look pretty damn good, so gaming at a higher resolution of 1600x900 wouldn't look bad at all. Then you'd get back into the desktop with full resolution, which lets you edit photos in really high detail. Crazy good for people who can afford it.

Eggz

Distinguished

Ha, did you type this on a touch screen? It seems like you're saying to just get a desktop for that money, but that assumes the target audience here is choosing one over the other. People in this price range will probably have both a very powerful desktop and also want a high-end laptop. Some just might need a lot of portability AND a lot of performance, eliminating the need for a desktop altogether. But people with $2,500 for whom a desktop is enough - they just land outside the target audience I think.

I think the people who buy this will be the types who just never want to sit behind anything but the best hardware, in the sexiest overall package. When it comes to laptops, that typically describes MacBookPro users, but I think that products like this Razer will help keep such buys on a Windows machine. Apple just doesn't offer graphics like this.

HeyHeather

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
16GB of RAM is awesome but what I don't understand is why you can only get up to a 512GB SSD. SSD's are wonderful and fast but game downloads are getting larger. That measly 512GB isn't going to get you far. Am I missing something?

VIPChristian

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

What are they offering the screen is small what are you going see ?

Status
Not open for further replies.