News Razer Atlas Hands-On: Who Knew I Needed a $100 Glass Mouse Pad?

Stanto

Commendable
Jun 6, 2020
Welcome to 2001. icemat was a fantastic mouse mat which everyone went crazy for, compared to everglide and metal mouse mats, they're great.

I did sell mine, but bought a nedis glass mouse mat for about £20 and it's almost the same size as razers offering.

Now I see the only real other product is the cheaper 'skypad' but that still rocks in at £80. In lieu of missing the icemat people resorted to using frosted glass kitchen cutting boards.

I've tried fabric mouse mats, they wear down quickly with any decent use. And the plastic types, such as those sold by steelseries with rgb are rubbish, also wear down quickly and don't even sell replacement inlays.

After the spat of desk sized mouse mats that mainly serve to soak up your crumbs and beverages it's good to see the glass come back, reducing the friction between mouse and movement. They are really great, maybe just not for the ridiculous price razer are asking. Look for alternatives and check amazon warehouse and aliexpress.

Reactions: thestryker

icmn223

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020
No joke, glass is hands down the best material for a mouse pad which I discovered over two decades ago with the original Icemat. Once you go glass, you can't go back. Everything else is literally trash in comparison. Surprised it took this long for someone to pick up the torch since Icemat morphed into SteelSeries who continued sell them for a short period of time but sadly discontinued them. I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to pick up the torch but I'm glass to see Razer stepping up to the plate. Looks like they've done a great job with their first foray into it. People always discount glass I think because they never tried it but, trust me once you try it, you'll understand.

Reactions: thestryker

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
Come on TH.
Yes, the article does mention briefly there are other glass mousepads - only it would have been reasonable to explain they have been around since at least 2001. But I guess the ad, sorry, the article would then not have been as good.

Geef

Distinguished
There is a VERY good reason not to get one of these for someone.

If someone is playing a game and gets pissed off at something they might slam their hand down on it.

🤬 👊 ⚡ Bloody hand.

bkuhl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Welcome to 2001. icemat was a fantastic mouse mat which everyone went crazy for, compared to everglide and metal mouse mats, they're great.

I did sell mine, but bought a nedis glass mouse mat for about £20 and it's almost the same size as razers offering.

Now I see the only real other product is the cheaper 'skypad' but that still rocks in at £80. In lieu of missing the icemat people resorted to using frosted glass kitchen cutting boards.

I've tried fabric mouse mats, they wear down quickly with any decent use. And the plastic types, such as those sold by steelseries with rgb are rubbish, also wear down quickly and don't even sell replacement inlays.

After the spat of desk sized mouse mats that mainly serve to soak up your crumbs and beverages it's good to see the glass come back, reducing the friction between mouse and movement. They are really great, maybe just not for the ridiculous price razer are asking. Look for alternatives and check amazon warehouse and aliexpress.

I just broke out my IceMat when I saw this product announced a few days ago on another site. I realize I really miss how perfect this mouse pad was when I got it ~20 years ago! I might throw the $100 down to see how it would be with a larger slab. The huge mousepads weren't exactly a thing when the IceMat was available...

Sarah Jacobsson Purewal

Senior Editor
Aug 5, 2022
Come on TH.
Yes, the article does mention briefly there are other glass mousepads - only it would have been reasonable to explain they have been around since at least 2001. But I guess the ad, sorry, the article would then not have been as good.

Icemat turned into SteelSeries and no longer makes glass mouse pads!

Sarah Jacobsson Purewal

Senior Editor
Aug 5, 2022
There is a VERY good reason not to get one of these for someone.

If someone is playing a game and gets pissed off at something they might slam their hand down on it.

🤬 👊 ⚡ Bloody hand.

Well, this seems like a very good reason to not get... a lot of things... for said someone

🤨

bp_968

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
The Razer Atlas is a tempered glass mouse pad with a smooth matte smudge-resistant surface that’s micro-etched to work seamlessly with optical sensors. And for some reason it feels incredible.

Razer Atlas Hands-On: Who Knew I Needed a $100 Glass Mouse Pad? : Read more

So about those infographic warnings.... they call that "sarcasm". I realize it's a bit difficult to parse for the younger generations now for some reason, but that's what it is. If you need some lessons on sarcasm a good place to start is older British comedies like Monty Python.

D

Deleted member 14196

Conspicuous consumption -look at me!

Never ostentatious enough for some