Question Razer Blade 15 (2018) 100% CPU Usage after start-up until I open task-manager.

Neoblizz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2017
So, I have been having this issue for a month-ish now, where my laptop would have fans running fairly loud (which I am not used to), and the battery draining quite fast even at the 60Hz screen refresh rate. I bought my laptop on release, and it's been working great till now. To investigate the fan-loudness further, I went to check task-manager, right when I opened it I noticed 100% CPU usage, but within few seconds, the CPU usage went back low. I have tried this several times now, the laptop will be loud and have 100% CPU usage until I open task-manager, and then everything will be ok.

Some threads have been hinting the issue towards Razer Synapse. But I have no idea what the real culprit is. I have checked my start-up services and I don't see anything odd;

LGHUB
Razer Synapse 3
f.lux
Discord
Windows Logon GUI Application
Realtek HD Audio Universal Service
Windows Security notification icon

are the enabled applications on start-up.

Oh, and after opening task-manager, the CPU usage drops to ~6% so fast that I have no time to check which app was the culprit. Any suggestions on how to track this down?

iHsdXeo.png

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
At this juncture I'd definitely update to Version 1903. I would be shocked if you don't have the "Download and install now" link showing in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane.

If you don't, then try Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Even though 1909 is on the cusp of coming out I prefer to update to any given Feature Update after the majority of the issues that appear have been ironed out, and with a few exceptions on a few pieces of hardware they have for 1903.

Neoblizz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2017
At this juncture I'd definitely update to Version 1903. I would be shocked if you don't have the "Download and install now" link showing in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane.

If you don't, then try Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Even though 1909 is on the cusp of coming out I prefer to update to any given Feature Update after the majority of the issues that appear have been ironed out, and with a few exceptions on a few pieces of hardware they have for 1903.
I actually don't have the download and install now available yet. I'll give the manual way a shot and see if that resolves the issue.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Have you waited it out, even once, to see if the issue will resolve on its own?

There are many machines, particularly those that don't get fired up daily, that have "a lot of work to do" when they first arise from many days of slumber that involve lots of CPU usage and disk usage.

Neoblizz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2017
Have you waited it out, even once, to see if the issue will resolve on its own?

There are many machines, particularly those that don't get fired up daily, that have "a lot of work to do" when they first arise from many days of slumber that involve lots of CPU usage and disk usage.

I use this machine heavily (so everything should already be cached), I can give it a day or two and report back.

Neoblizz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2017
I found the problem, it seems to be a miner virus/trojan/whatnot called winlogui.exe that had my virus scanner blocked as well. Now it is removed, hopefully it will resolve the issue.

TRENDING THREADS