News Razer Blade 15 Debuts a 240 Hz OLED Laptop Panel

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
As someone who doesn't follow the industry closely, I still wonder why OLED screens haen't gone mainstream on laptops, as it have on phones. Nowadays, even budget phones sport OLED screens, unlike pre-2015 times where you can only find them in Samsung's or Nokia's flagships.
If it's a matter of size or yield, I've seen more OLED TVs than laptops / monitors. If they could make TV sized OLEDs, why couldn't they produce more medium-sized panel? Not hating at all, just curious.

Apr 1, 2020
Easy pass. OLED panels weren't designed for static images, be it a computer desktop or game UI elements, and at 282 nits of brightness that panel doesn't have nearly the kind of wear leveling and damage mitigation as a television or smartphone display.

coloradoblah

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
As someone who doesn't follow the industry closely, I still wonder why OLED screens haen't gone mainstream on laptops, as it have on phones. Nowadays, even budget phones sport OLED screens, unlike pre-2015 times where you can only find them in Samsung's or Nokia's flagships.
If it's a matter of size or yield, I've seen more OLED TVs than laptops / monitors. If they could make TV sized OLEDs, why couldn't they produce more medium-sized panel? Not hating at all, just curious.

Im also curious how the newer oled tech will perform, my guess is that it’s still the organic nature of the tech. Im on my 2nd oled panel , granted I have a 2017 era panel but definitely has image degradation after babying it the past 4 years. My first panel had major burn in after 12 months and was replaced by lg. the replacement was never on high brightness but even still I can see issues, that being said for video it’s still amazing but as a pc monitor It would definitely make me opt for the longest warranty possible. That being said I’ve also had lcd monitors crap out on me over time. Hopefully the newer oleds can go the distance.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
pretty sure they are bad for battery life. And with how thin phones are with big screens oled wouldn't be good I don't think.