[SOLVED] Razer Blade Pro 2019 - fps drops every few seconds

cybrix

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Hey forum,

My new Razer Blade is stuttering like hell in every game..every 2-3 seconds the framerate goes down to single digits, then up again.

It seems like the gpu is throttling every few seconds(see img), what can cause this behaviour(no, I'm not playing on battery^^)?

What I've tried so far:

uninstall gpu driver with DDU, reinstall it
install all new drivers on Razer homepage
set the 2080 as default gpu on nvidia control panel
tweaked energy saving options in windows

I'm happy for any input you guys can give me..I'm desperate..

thx foor help in advance!

Solution
I wasn't even familiar with the term... so it's related to virtual memory. I don't believe it's an issue.

Nvidia Optimus is the reason so many people have trouble getting Minecraft - GTA V too - to run on the gpu, instead of the igpu.

Trying to find out what Razer set for the card's power limit, but I did find that the temperature limit is just 76C. Pretty low for a laptop.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're probably boned here.
I believe it has to do with power consumption - it's right there in your Gpu-Z image: Performance Cap Reason - Power.
There are 2 versions of the 2080 Max-Q: an 80w and a 90w model. No way to know without checking the specs yourself in game.

cybrix

Commendable
May 12, 2017
I think it has to do with the energy saving options of the laptop.. It seems to only occur when I'm not playing in fullscreen mode. I assume it just switches between the 2080 and the onboard graphics.

Is there a way to completely disable the intel gpu?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not without screwing yourself further, I believe.
Uninstalling the Intel igpu driver will just lead to a black screen.

The whole switchable graphics thing was just unnecessary, and complicates matters.
It's so simple to just disable igpus in desktop bioses when wanting to prioritize discreet gpus.

Anyone's welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Reactions: cybrix

cybrix

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Hey there,

After further investigation I found out that this behaviour is a common bug causeb by nvidia optimus in dual gpu laptops.
Its easily fixed by keeping the gpu active at all times, eg opening the nvidia control panel to the rendered logo.
Thats eliminating the problem completely, but its kind of a messy solution for a 3.5k laptop...

But now Im encountering another problem.

The framerate now is good and stable, but the gaming experience is far from fluid, the image seems to stutter a lot horizontally, like tearing, but the fps is not over the monitors limit(144Hz).

Enableling vsync doesnt help, adaptive sync isnt available for optimus laptops, sadly.

After I checked some numbers in Afterburner I saw that the frametime looks like a heart monitor, or is this a normal looking graph for frametimes(ignore the big spikes, thats alt tab out of the game)?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
From what I can see in the image, it's the ram that's almost maxed out.
I forgot what that threshold was in percentage, but it too, slows down past a certain point, just like storage drives.
While you have 16GB, remember that the OS reserves some for itself, so your limit is closer to 15GB.
The graph shows you're borderline 14GB in memory usage. Time to find out what's using so much. Task manager is a start.

cybrix

Commendable
May 12, 2017
From what I can see in the image, it's the ram that's almost maxed out.
I forgot what that threshold was in percentage, but it too, slows down past a certain point, just like storage drives.
While you have 16GB, remember that the OS reserves some for itself, so your limit is closer to 15GB.
The graph shows you're borderline 14GB in memory usage. Time to find out what's using so much. Task manager is a start.

Those 14gb on the picture is the commit charge, not the ram (ram is one above, at 6.7gb used).
A near to full commit charge shouldnt be a problem, no? I thought it is adaptive in size. But please correct me if im wrong!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I wasn't even familiar with the term... so it's related to virtual memory. I don't believe it's an issue.

Nvidia Optimus is the reason so many people have trouble getting Minecraft - GTA V too - to run on the gpu, instead of the igpu.

Trying to find out what Razer set for the card's power limit, but I did find that the temperature limit is just 76C. Pretty low for a laptop.

Solution

samzalahi

Reputable
Jul 23, 2019
Hi
Hey forum,

My new Razer Blade is stuttering like hell in every game..every 2-3 seconds the framerate goes down to single digits, then up again.

It seems like the gpu is throttling every few seconds(see img), what can cause this behaviour(no, I'm not playing on battery^^)?

What I've tried so far:

uninstall gpu driver with DDU, reinstall it
install all new drivers on Razer homepage
set the 2080 as default gpu on nvidia control panel
tweaked energy saving options in windows

I'm happy for any input you guys can give me..I'm desperate..

thx foor help in advance!
Hi I am also having the fps fluctuate issue for too long and find no solution only also from razer support. Then finally i figured out when i exit all synapse 3 app it is working fine.