razer carcharias headset hissing sound

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013
My brother just bought a set of these headphones and they're usb powered I don't know why but they make an awful hissing sound whenever connected by usb and since they are usb powered there is no way not to be using the usb plug in it happens even when nothing is turned on as long as the usb is in. I'd appreciate any help. I have tried adjusting all the cords but nothing has worked for me

Solution
This is a common problem that occurs with amplifiers powered by switching power supplies. The switching frequency used in high power sources such as used in pc are close to the threshold of audible frequencies of 20KHz, and therefore cause interference in the audio. To work around this problem quality sources have common mode filter, but not always the plugs of these sources are grounded and so these filters do not work. Therefore, it is necessary that the sources are effectively grounded. If this filter included not solve the problem you need to add another Butterworth filter of at least third order, consisting of a capacitor (C = 47uF), an inductor choke (L = 10mH) and a capacitor (C = 100uF), connected in series in the supply of 5VDC...

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Should I try that even though I'm using it on a xbox 360? I did find that sound to happen on pc as well but we intend on using the headset as a xbox headset so idk if the pc settings will affect it

mrdannok

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
No it wont, euhm do you have another console, because if it only happens on you Xbox, it would mean that you have a problem with your jack or however its plugged to your Xbox

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

I already tried that i still got the sound from my other console so can i change the settings on a pc?

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Thanks anyways I tried but every site i looked on said its part of the headset and its never going away oh well

Mohd Alfam

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013

andre_murari

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
This is a common problem that occurs with amplifiers powered by switching power supplies. The switching frequency used in high power sources such as used in pc are close to the threshold of audible frequencies of 20KHz, and therefore cause interference in the audio. To work around this problem quality sources have common mode filter, but not always the plugs of these sources are grounded and so these filters do not work. Therefore, it is necessary that the sources are effectively grounded. If this filter included not solve the problem you need to add another Butterworth filter of at least third order, consisting of a capacitor (C = 47uF), an inductor choke (L = 10mH) and a capacitor (C = 100uF), connected in series in the supply of 5VDC USB. I advise that you use a USB extension cable to mount this filter so as not to spoil the characteristics of the source.
Another ease solution is the use of a mobile charger with USB output to power this circuit. The low power charger is an AC / DC converter that uses switching frequencies much higher than the high-power sources, and thus does not cause noise. Just watch out how much power your device needs. The power device should not be greater than that delivered by the chargers. Most chargers provide up to 1A output, while the Razer headphones utilize maximum 0.2A.

Solution

Morldore

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

I kinda fixed it by using an A/C to usb adapter separate from the console/pc. Still a slight noise but not near as bad as when plugged into the device. I used an old cell phone charger that alows the plug in of a usb cable.