Razer CEO Defends Company Stance on PS3 Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Hrm.... Is it their obligation to release products for every single platform? Do they have things for the Wii as well and, if not, do people expect Wii specific peripherals?

Ultimately, if it's a market that has demand and they're not capitalizing on it, they lose out on they money they would make from that market, and leave it wide open for someone else to swoop in. I think it's a bit silly to not release products for the PS3 as well but, really, not my concern. I think it's silly that MS took years to get an Office suite out for Apple and we are still waiting for an Android one and, go figure, significant Office clone programs have taken foothold on those platforms for their tardiness. You snooze, you lose.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Millenial mindset of entitlement - "I demand all things I desire be provided for me by the commercial/industrial world, and before I even realize I want it. If a product could exist and I decide I want it, it is their obligation to make it to appease my consumer appetites."

Seriously, in a world where people flip out if their phone goes even a few months without the next incremental update, are you shocked people have claimed fanboyism, bias, behind the scene deals, and even racism for reasons that the travesty of one video game console not getting certain third party controllers took place? People are entitled brats, end of story.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I'm sure he has signed a exclusivity contract with Microsoft for the foreseeable future and that's likely the real reason behind it.

It's his company and his choice though so who cares he can build and sell the products he wishes to the game demography he wishes more room for other peripheral makers to fill that void.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I would of countered the comment that he only builds products he wants by asking why they don't have better quality control then. Obviously no one wants products cheaply made that break.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Look, he can choose whatever it is he doesn't want to make for whatever. He has no obligation to put the time and effort into making anything for the PS3 or anything other than PC or Xbox. But he does sound a little tone-deaf to suggest that it's ridiculous to even question if there is a reason other than his own personal choice that one of the longest standing companies in the gaming business could not garner enough attention for a single controller over these many years. Again, if he doesn't want to that's fine, and I can accept his reasoning - if I ran a company like his I wouldn't want to make something for the sake of making it. But I guess that when you make the effort to make a controller for the Xbox, it stirs questions about your lack of exposure to other platforms.

PedanticNo1

Honorable
May 3, 2013
We criticize them when they are "in it for the money" (we all know business is there to make money, but when a company, such as EA, sells games nickel and dime . . . it's all about monetization, no dev passion at all), but when a CEO comes out and says he wants his company to produce products that HE WOULD USE, we still shit talk!

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Considering how little effort it would take to make PS3 versions of their controllers, if Min-Liang's not doing so because of some kind of personal preference for Xbox, ignoring the obvious market, and free money... well... he's an idiot.

And, I'm going to go with the assumption that someone who's built his own successful gaming accessories company wouldn't be purposefully doing something so insanely stupid... which leads to the obvious logical conclusion:

Microsoft is greasing his palms somehow.

The only thing I do not like about my PS3 is that I can't use my XBox 360 controller's with it. I hate the PS3 Controllers the 360 controller is much much better I understand why Razer does not make controllers for it.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

There is a third conclusion that *seems* insane but, given that it's Sony we're talking about here, might make sense. That conclusions is that Sony has either intentionally, or just through lack of caring in making it easy to work with people on their machine, has made it difficult for hardware to be created for their machine - perhaps hardware wise, perhaps legally, perhaps some sort of obscene licensing fee, whatever.

Keep in mind, the CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment has come out and outright said that they intentionally made the PS3 difficult to develop for, rather than making it more reasonable like developers wanted.

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai.

"So it's a kind of--I wouldn't say a double-edged sword--but it's hard to program for," Hirai continued, "and a lot of people see the negatives of it, but if you flip that around, it means the hardware has a lot more to offer."

http://news.cnet.com/sony-ps3-is-hard-to-develop-for-on-purpose/

This company is one part arrogant and one part inane. Would it really shock anyone if they've made it substantially more difficult or costly than it has to be to produce hardware for the PS3 just so they could keep their edge? Nintendo used to produce a whole slew of games with more advanced cartridge technology before releasing them to third party developers so that their games would seem technically far superior to those of their competitors... Based on Sony's history of industry bullying, would it be such a shocker for them to do something similar here?

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

Yeah just like when he played PS3, so I guess the PS4 will be collecting dust in the not to distant future

ikaz

Distinguished
You know whats sad is that people think by calling him names it will make him want to make PS3/PS4 products. After he came out and said he doesn't have a deal with MS the response should have been more like "your missing an opertunity", "there lots of PS3/PC games who would use your products" etc. I mean if I owned my own business that made quailty products and wasn't hurting for money (which hes doesn't seem to be) some on cursing at me is not going to make want to look into making a product for there device if anything I would avoid it because I don't want customers like that if I don't need them.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Jeez, how little of a life must one have, to be upset that someone is doing what he chooses to do with HIS OWN COMPANY?! If you love Playstation that much, then buy an original PS3 controller, or go start your own company and build your own. Or email Ben Heck and he can fabricate one with a built in nose and butt wiper. I bought my first Razer Product, a Death Adder a few months ago to replace a finally dying Logitech MX-518. I didn't think I'd ever find another mouse that I liked, that just felt right, but I did and I'm very happy with my purchase. I hope he keeps up the good work. It must be tough to stay cordial and professional when people make such moronic tweets.

"You're assuming it's just a business for us :) If it were, we'd be a much larger company than who we are today"

Ok, Nostromo n52 turned into a bloated piece of crap when you guys got it.

The manure reeks from MILES away.

As a proud owner of an original Belkin Nostromo n52, I have to say that Razer destroyed the gamepad making it ridiculously expensive with NO ADDITIONAL FEATURES.

Now, explain that to me and say that piece of crap again.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.